Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Arizona Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Arizona on
Q: child suport case start over twenty years ago in ND who has no statue of limitations and I move to SD with no max

SD has no max so is my diver license safe?

Also are there covid laws in SD to protect my license?

Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
answered on Jun 10, 2021

You asked this question to Arizona, where it seems like you intended to ask for South Dakota.

If you intended Arizona, North Dakota could ask AZ to enforce. AZ does not have a Statute of Limitations for enforcing child support, and losing your drivers license is a potential consequence in AZ.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona on
Q: I would like to know how and if there is a way to address current child support order.

I struggled to obtain a well paying job last year, I was let go once and I was out of a job for a few months, currently with COVID my income was affected. The first child support order was at $345 when I was consistently earning a decent income, but I no longer work there and my hours fluctuate,... View More

Peter W Davis
Peter W Davis
answered on Sep 18, 2020

Child support can be modified in Arizona at anytime upon a showing of substantial change in circumstances. This can be done by one of 2 methods, a simplified modification where you file, serve the other party and if they don't request a hearing the Court orders your modification. There is a... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Arizona on
Q: Is it possible to modify child support\spousal maintenance on my own? I lost my job due to Covid-19

The spousal maintenance is "non-modifiable", I have paid 11 out of the 24 required months. The Child support does not mention whether it is modifiable or not.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Aug 25, 2020

While it is possible, your focus, at this point, should be on regaining employment. Your unemployment is, or at least should not be, a permanent change in your financial situation. Once you are again employed, you can input your new income figures into the child support calculator to determine if... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arizona on
Q: The other parent is trying to say I need to drop of my child at her house for school because she feels

He wouldn’t get the help here can she do that

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Aug 2, 2020

These are unprecedented times. We have never seen school closures like this before. My best advice is to try to peacefully resolve this. You, your ex, your son: you all have a lot more stress in your daily lives due to the panic over this virus. Why add to it? You should both be engaged in his... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arizona on
Q: My daughter lives in Glendora CA She is wanting a divorce. Can she move to AZ with the kids? he works in LA she online.

4 minor children 8yr to 14. Husband has anger issues and has physically harmed the children in past. She wants to move to AZ as she can afford to care for the children better then in CA. She is willing to drive them out to visit their dad. Counseling has started and husband admits he has anger... View More

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jul 22, 2020

You present one of those cases where there is a specific legal answer and then there is what is likely in the best interests of your daughter and grandchildren. To avoid any potential legal problems, your daughter should file for separation in California and request leave of the Court to relocate... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Child Custody for Arizona on
Q: I live in Ca. I Have joint custody of my kid who lives between CA and AZ. I want equal physical time. Where do I start?

I was married in CA in 2009. Moved to AZ and bought a house with ex husband in 2010 with newborn. Filed for divorce myself with no lawyer in 2011 and it was granted 9/2012. The divorce decree and parenting plan is archaic and based on the naivety of a young me in my 20s who somehow thought I could... View More

John R Gaertner Jr
John R Gaertner Jr
answered on Jul 5, 2020

It would be necessary to review all of your current court orders and the Decree to adequately provide advice on your current issues. There appears to be grounds to review and request changes to your current Legal Decision Making and Parenting Time Orders. There has been at least 5 years since your... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.