COVID-19 Arizona View Questions by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents (Intellectual Property)
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Stockbroker Fraud
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

Show More Practice Areas

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Arizona Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Arizona on
Q: Can something still be done if my injury was a few months ago (maybe 5 months ago)?

I fell off some stairs at my second job back in June 2022 and I never got paid for the days I worked and was told by employer that since my injury was my fault they were not going to pay for my medical bills nor my missed wages. I kept getting the run around and wasn’t able to get treatment until... View More

Weston Montrose
Weston Montrose
answered on Nov 28, 2022

The Arizona workers' compensation system is a "no fault" system. That means that an injured worker is entitled to claim benefits even if the accident was their "fault" (or part their fault). You have one year from the date of injury to file a claim for benefits with the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Arizona on
Q: can i find a lawyer for litigating a wrongful eviction pandemic on contingency

Greetings, I am seeking representation as a tenant in a wrongful eviction during the pandemic claim. In addition I have numerous claims concerning LTA as well as violations committed by the owner that arise from not visiting the property in decades. The landlord, primary tenant, never gave rent... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 11, 2022

An Arizona attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. You are seeking an attorney - it's going to be difficult for law firms here to reach out to you. This is only a Q & A forum, not an attorney referral service. In addition to your own independent searches... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Arizona on
Q: What are our options if our health insurance denied a $28,000 air ambulance claim stating it was medically unnecessary?

In August 2021, my spouse was evaluated in our rural/local emergency room. It was determined he had Covid pneumonia and needed to be admitted but the hospital was full. A bed was found in a location 3 hours away. We have emergency helicopter insurance, so they were arranged for the transport.... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Apr 25, 2022

An Arizona attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. Given the $28,000 at stake, this is probably something on which you may want to consider seeking the guidance of an Arizona attorney. Health care claims can involve state-specific health, insurance, and consumer... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: The person we had TEMPORARILY caring 4 our dog as we searched for a place to live, is trying to keep him. What can I do

Someone had been watching our dog as we looked for a place to live. Among other things, the pandemic prolonged the time it took to do so (4 months). Right before we were to contact the guy to get our dog, he randomly texted and said he killed the dog and threw him in the fire. Devistated, we... View More

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jul 2, 2021

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as merely requesting a civil standby. I have not filed a case like this personally, but I believe you should be able to file a case in justice court instead of at the superior court level since all you are seeking is possession of the property (dog). The fees will... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Arizona on
Q: child suport case start over twenty years ago in ND who has no statue of limitations and I move to SD with no max

SD has no max so is my diver license safe?

Also are there covid laws in SD to protect my license?

Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
answered on Jun 10, 2021

You asked this question to Arizona, where it seems like you intended to ask for South Dakota.

If you intended Arizona, North Dakota could ask AZ to enforce. AZ does not have a Statute of Limitations for enforcing child support, and losing your drivers license is a potential consequence in AZ.

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Arizona on
Q: My grandfather passed away in 2019 now I’m being asked to sign a paper what could it be?

I know all of his grandchildren were named in his will but now my mom won’t tell me what this paper says beforehand......

Douglas Price
Douglas Price
answered on Apr 16, 2021

You don't have to sign anything until you have had the chance to review it with counsel. There are many fine probate lawyers in Arizona and the cost of a consultation will cost you very little and could save you thousands (or tens of thousands). Many of us will do virtual consultations after... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Arizona on
Q: Does my employer need to pay me a profit share after I left the company?

My employer promised my salary is $16 per hour plus 10% of net profits. However, my employment was terminated last week

I left this company was because I was exposed to someone with covid and I told my boss that I was not going to work just to keep everyone safe, then he said I abandoned my... View More

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Jan 26, 2021

In most circumstances, the payment of an employee's compensation cannot be dependent on the employer's satisfaction with job performance, you either earn it or not. However, bonuses are different. So this depends on whether your compensation of 10% is part of salary or a bonus. You... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Arizona on
Q: I went on FMLA for corona now I dont have the position in my store the mgr is training someone. Else

The mngr sent me to another store for a week and now said she doesnt know if they can get hours im a full time assistant manager

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
answered on Oct 7, 2020

You are typically entitled to reinstatement to your position or to an equivalent position (with equivalent hours) upon return from an FMLA-qualifying leave that does not exceed the maximum 12-week allotment. This right to reinstatement exists even if your employer replaced you while you were on... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona on
Q: I would like to know how and if there is a way to address current child support order.

I struggled to obtain a well paying job last year, I was let go once and I was out of a job for a few months, currently with COVID my income was affected. The first child support order was at $345 when I was consistently earning a decent income, but I no longer work there and my hours fluctuate,... View More

Peter W Davis
Peter W Davis
answered on Sep 18, 2020

Child support can be modified in Arizona at anytime upon a showing of substantial change in circumstances. This can be done by one of 2 methods, a simplified modification where you file, serve the other party and if they don't request a hearing the Court orders your modification. There is a... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Arizona on
Q: Can an employer advertise a work from home position and then keep them in office?

I was hired into a work from home position. HR emailed me stating the position was 2 weeks in office for training and

then I would be working from home. 3 months later and I am still in office. I got covid 19 abt 7 weeks into the job. I requested to work from home and was told no. Can a... View More

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
answered on Sep 2, 2020

In general, your employer can change the requirements of your job at any time. However, in some circumstances, you could have recourse under the Americans with Disabilities Act if your request to work from home is for a medically-related reason. If you are currently unable to work in the office... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Arizona on
Q: Is it possible to modify child support\spousal maintenance on my own? I lost my job due to Covid-19

The spousal maintenance is "non-modifiable", I have paid 11 out of the 24 required months. The Child support does not mention whether it is modifiable or not.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Aug 25, 2020

While it is possible, your focus, at this point, should be on regaining employment. Your unemployment is, or at least should not be, a permanent change in your financial situation. Once you are again employed, you can input your new income figures into the child support calculator to determine if... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Arizona on
Q: I'm being forced into unsafe working conditions, what can I do?

I am a teacher at a school in Arizona currently a hotspot for the covid 19 pandemic. My employer is planning to reopen irrespective of benchmarks laid out by the Arizona Health department, putting me, my fellow teachers and students at risk. They have threatened legal action if I decide not to show... View More

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
answered on Aug 12, 2020

Additional information is needed to answer your question. Do you have a medical condition that places you at a higher risk for serious illness if exposed to COVID-19? If so, you could work with your doctor to request an accommodation in the form of teleworking to begin the school year. If your... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arizona on
Q: The other parent is trying to say I need to drop of my child at her house for school because she feels

He wouldn’t get the help here can she do that

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Aug 2, 2020

These are unprecedented times. We have never seen school closures like this before. My best advice is to try to peacefully resolve this. You, your ex, your son: you all have a lot more stress in your daily lives due to the panic over this virus. Why add to it? You should both be engaged in his... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Probate for Arizona on
Q: My mom died without a will Dec 2, 2019. Her only major asset is the house, located in Park Scottsdale.

There is a reverse mortgage and credit debts, as well as this year's property tax, probably totalling a little over $300,000. This area is being re-developed- a teardown was bought across the street and the new build sold for 1,150,000. Our lot is about 1/4 acre, to be sold as is. How do I... View More

Ryan K Hodges
Ryan K Hodges
answered on Jul 27, 2020

To be a small estate, the estate must have less than $75,000 in personal property (bank accounts, cars, investments, etc.) and less than $100,000 in equity in real estate. The valuation for the property is determined by the county tax assessed value. You can also deduct any mortgages owed on the... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arizona on
Q: My daughter lives in Glendora CA She is wanting a divorce. Can she move to AZ with the kids? he works in LA she online.

4 minor children 8yr to 14. Husband has anger issues and has physically harmed the children in past. She wants to move to AZ as she can afford to care for the children better then in CA. She is willing to drive them out to visit their dad. Counseling has started and husband admits he has anger... View More

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jul 22, 2020

You present one of those cases where there is a specific legal answer and then there is what is likely in the best interests of your daughter and grandchildren. To avoid any potential legal problems, your daughter should file for separation in California and request leave of the Court to relocate... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Arizona on
Q: If I violated Probation and am upsconded would now be a good time to turn myself in?

I upsconded about a yr ago and have a felony warrant. No dangerous non repetitive. With the COVID-19 They don't seem to be keeping people in jail. So would this be an idea time to surender?

Stewart Salwin
Stewart Salwin
answered on Jul 21, 2020

Now would probably be a better time than any other that I can think of. The court system is trying to keep people out of jail at the moment, and therefore they may be more likely to reinstate you on probation than to revoke it. Of course, that is assuming all other things being equal. More... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Child Custody for Arizona on
Q: I live in Ca. I Have joint custody of my kid who lives between CA and AZ. I want equal physical time. Where do I start?

I was married in CA in 2009. Moved to AZ and bought a house with ex husband in 2010 with newborn. Filed for divorce myself with no lawyer in 2011 and it was granted 9/2012. The divorce decree and parenting plan is archaic and based on the naivety of a young me in my 20s who somehow thought I could... View More

John R Gaertner Jr
John R Gaertner Jr
answered on Jul 5, 2020

It would be necessary to review all of your current court orders and the Decree to adequately provide advice on your current issues. There appears to be grounds to review and request changes to your current Legal Decision Making and Parenting Time Orders. There has been at least 5 years since your... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Arizona on
Q: During covid19 pandemic I've spent my 2019 return instead of relinquish to trustee on my rent. What are possible outcome

filed bankruptcy in January 2020. I recieved a 2019 return in February. Needing to pay bills because of lost income we used our return to pay rent. We lost over 2k monthly because wife was furloughed and unable to obtain a income.

Diane L. Drain
Diane L. Drain
answered on May 15, 2020

This is a very serious situation. The trustee has an obligation to collect the estate's percentage of any non-exempt property, which includes tax refunds. If you have an attorney - contact them immediately. If you do not have an attorney - make arrangements to pay the appropriate amount to... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: What determines the length of stay on B2 visa - the stamp on passport and I-94 or is it fixed to max of 6 months?

Hello, my mom is an Indian Citizen and came to US in Nov 2019 on B2 visa. She was supposed to go back in Mar 2020 but due to Corona all the flights were cancelled. So now she is here and will be staying at least till june. By June she would have passed 6 months/180 days of stay in US. On her... View More

Adan Vega
Adan Vega
answered on Apr 28, 2020

The FORM I-94 controls the period of time that the visitor can remain lawfully in the U.S.

Prior to the expiration of the B-2 status, your mother should proceed to file the FORM I-539 with USCIS to request an extension of the B-2 status.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona on
Q: Broke lease due to Job loss. Rent was current and prepaid 1m security dep. Owner listed for $225 higher. Unreasonable?

Was only 5m into 12m lease. Explained job loss (COVID). Landlord was understanding. Paid full rent ($1875) on the first, and was out on the 8th. Had also paid a full month of rent as security deposit and $500 in non-refundable cleaning fees. Was hoping landlord could get re-rented within the 7... View More

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
answered on Apr 14, 2020

I recommend that you consult with a real estate attorney if your landlord makes a claim against you for additional rent. Your landlord must mitigate its damages under Arizona law and the reasonableness of the landlords attempt to re-rent is a fact issue for the judge to decide should a claim be... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.