Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 New Jersey Child Custody Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: I have a 16 yr old granddaughter whom was living with her mother in GA. Her mom kicked her out and sent her to her fathe

To NJ. Granddaughter wants to live with father. Mother refused to send docs to father. As her maternal grandmother can I ask the court for a law guardian for my Granddaughter. Father can't get birth certificate, his name isn't on it. My daughter wants her daughter to live hard. Job corps... View More

Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
answered on Aug 23, 2021

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry that you and your granddaughter have to go through this stressful time.

The most direct answer is you can file a grandparents rights application and request formal custody of your granddaughter. Then the court can order your daughter to turn over...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Domestic Violence for New Jersey on
Q: I recently applied for my firearms license in NJ. I was denied due to my "violent and aggressive history."

I've been in a relationship for 6 years now and he had a nasty divorce/custody battle in the first three years. His ex-wife filed multiple false police reports against me thinking that it would sway the custody verdict but she ultimately lost custody. In one of the reports, she coached her... View More

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
answered on May 10, 2021

I would contact your local police chief and / or the county prosecutors office and ask for the background search material and the source[s] giving rise to the concerns voiced about you. The less confrontational you are with them, the more likely they will be to provide the information sought (... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for New Jersey on
Q: I have residential custody of my child who is 13 1/2 yrs old. His father and friend live 1 hr away.

Concerned about him going there for spring break I have Diabetes type 1. Hypertension and stage 1 kidney disease. He won’t tell me where he and his friend have been. There is no verbal communication. how do I handle this during this pandemic.

Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
answered on Apr 15, 2020

Thank you for your question. We are seeing this same issue again and again, and we understand that there is increased anxiety all around for people who are co-parenting in these difficult times.

In general the courts are not considering "what if" scenarios, they are enforcing...
View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.