Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Ohio Banking Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Ohio on
Q: how do i get my name off a joint loan with ex husband

my name is on a joint loan with ex husband. how do i get my name off. he's ruining my credit by not paying. divorce decree stated he is solely responsible for repayment.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Apr 29, 2020

You can talk to the lender, but lender likely will not agree to take you off. So the loan would have to be refinanced. If ex won't refinance or pay, then file with the court to have ex held in contempt. Talk to your divorce attorney, or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.