Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Virginia Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Virginia on

LL wont cooperate with Tenant in COVID Rent Relief Pgm (Reqd by Va and CDC Moratorium Rules)

Managed to get Eviction DISMISSED BUT:

How can I force them to cooperate with RRP before resource pool is depleted!

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
answered on May 1, 2021

The likelihood to force anyone to do anything these days is slim to none. You may be able to file a formal complaint against the landlord with the Office of the Virginia Attorney General in Richmond, VA.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: How does one "erase" the filing of a UD petition that is later non-suited without judgment?

This will be an issue for many "first time civil defendants" who are filed upon by landlords for UD during the COVID period. There is legislation that enables relief in 2022, but that will be too late for many.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
answered on Jul 18, 2020

The general procedure to accomplish your goal is to file a Motion to Vacate the Judgment, however, a non-suit means that the plaintiff withdrew the case and claims so there is no judgment to vacate. The original case's information cannot be "erased" as you described it. These are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Virginia on
Q: In VA does a creditor simply fill out a form to extend a judgement or must it go to court? Will the debtor be notified?

Will I be notified and given a chance to go to court for the renewal (extension) or just notified afterward (or not)?

Will the coronavirus and court closures affect the statute of limitations? I'm almost certain it expired at the end of April.

If so, details will be appreciated.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
answered on May 30, 2020

If the judgment was recorded in a circuit court in Virginia, as the 20 year period for the first period of the judgment approaches, you must file with the same circuit court a Motion to Renew the Judgment. If the Motion is granted, it will extend the judgment for anther 10 years. The debtor's... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.