Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: Can my fiance claim me on taxes?
Agustin  Arbulu
Agustin Arbulu answered on Jan 25, 2022

This is very interest question and suggests that your fiance wants Head of Household (HOH) status to take advantage of the lower tax rate and higher standard deduction. To qualify for HOH your fiance must:

1. Pay for more than half of your household expenses (such as groceries, rent,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: I owe back taxes. Should I hire a tax attorney?

My husband passed away 9 months ago. We were five years behind. I have them filed now. I owe quit a bit to the irs.

Eric  Day
Eric Day answered on Mar 1, 2021

It depends on how much you owe and some other factors with the innocent spouse possibilities. I would be happy to discuss with you if needs be 702-309-3333

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: Y do i pay taxes I thought it was no taxation without representation
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jan 9, 2020

Not a real rule. People pay taxes without being represented all the time.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Tax Law and Business Law for Iowa on
Q: What is the least expensive way to buy into an LLC with regard to Iowa and federal tax cost?

Father and two siblings put farm into LLC (split 50/25/25). One of the siblings is going to nursing home and selling their membership units (25%). An agreed price has been established for units. Should the LLC buy the seller's units and then sell them to me? OR Should I buy into the LLC first?... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 20, 2019

You need to hire a professional. There's a few things in your question that are not correct in regards to how an LLC functions. You're going to need more detailed advice than should be given through this forum.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: I live in Iowa and have court established homestead rights, can the county I live in sell my property due to back taxes?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jul 8, 2019

Under 561.1 of the Iowa Code past due taxes to the State of Iowa and Iowa counties or municipalities are specifically exempt from the homestead laws.

The county can and will auction your property to satisfy past due to back taxes.

I would suggest contacting the tax authority to...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: I am disabled I got a letter say I had to pay the last half of my property tax by may 15 or the sell what can I do

I paied the first half and wont have the money for the last half till June 3

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on May 2, 2019

Call the county assessor and tell them you need more time to pay the tax. They'll tell you your options.

Or hire an attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: Donation Receipts for New Type of eBay Charity Donation

I wanted to establish a new type of charity sale. A seller would list items for sale and upon purchase the seller would deliver them to a charity designated within the listing. The seller would obtain a drop-off receipt from the charity and mail or message a copy to the buyer to use for their... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 18, 2019

You are not asking general legal questions; you are seeking about $2,000 worth of free professional legal advice regarding the establishment of what appears to be a workable idea--if a lawyer is involved from the get-go. Suggest you hire a good lawyer and invest in their advice--before you make a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: Do I owe the IRS money for my ex boyfriend claiming my kids on his taxes?


Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Nov 16, 2017

You are not responsible for his tax debt. The IRS will not send you a bill because the debt is his not yours. The amount that he is telling you he owes is not unreasonable. Unless you or your children made over $4050 than he was allowed to claim the children if he was providing more than half of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: is there any way to stop a tax refund garnishment for a student loan debt?

I have set up a monthly payment plan

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jan 20, 2017


1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: I formed an S corporation last year -- paid all necesary fees-do I need to pay an annual fee to have a registered agent?
Terrence Jay Moore
Terrence Jay Moore answered on Oct 20, 2013

No, not if you live in the state of incorporation. Then you can be the agent. If you don't want to be the agent you will need to pay for one.

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: I owe 2,000.00 in back taxes can the irs take away my passport
Mr Jeffrey D Heck
Mr Jeffrey D Heck answered on Feb 5, 2011

Never seen the issue arise. Not likely to be an issue unless a judge is involved and considers you a risk to evade the court's authority by fleeing the country.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.