Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Montana Immigration Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: Hello. I would like to ask a question about the approval of an immigrant visa

I plan on filing a petition for my parents. However, I am afraid that it might get denied because of my work history. I haven't had a long term job for the past two years because I move from one job to another multiple times. Will USCIS consider my work history as a factor of approval?

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on May 23, 2021

A US citizen sponsoring his parents for permanent residency is required to file an affidavit of support that meets the necessary income threshold based on his household size. If you do not meet that threshold, you can engage a joint sponsor who can.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: if the mother of my child is a non citizen, but does have a social, can she take my child and move away??

she has never applied for or is a citizen and she wants to leave the county and/or country with our child. I tried helping her with citizenship and she refused. Now she wants to take my child away for a 3rd time now and just leave with her. She has no citizenship but has been employed for her adult... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Apr 27, 2021

Whether your permission is needed for the child to travel internationally depends on whether you are on the child's birth certificate and have custody, as well as what the airline and country of destination regulations are. A family law attorney may be able to get an order forbidding removal... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: The mother of my child is American. However she was born in England bt lived here 42yrs How can we get her U.S.citizens?

AS A child her Father ONLY- (dec-citizen), raised her inside the US. THEN She was 12 & forced into foster care. She had graduated HS, ALWAYS WORKED since age 17 or younger and always paid her taxes like ALL Americans SHOULD. She never has been on Assistance or has never asked the government for... Read more »

Nareshwar Singh Virdi
Nareshwar Singh Virdi answered on Feb 28, 2021

This is a complicated situation. We need more information to determine if she ever qualified as a citizen as a minor.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: Please help me get my boyfriend from Nigeria here for the holidays with my family. We have been dating a year and half.

Met online 3 years ago. Been dating over a year now. Never met. I want to get him here for the holidays with my family. 3 month visit.

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Sep 25, 2020

Your boyfriend will need to apply for a non-immigrant B-1/B-2 visa at the U.S. consulate in Nigeria.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: The National Visa Center keeps asking for the same civil documents.

The National Visa Center keeps asking for the same civil documents (copy of marriage certificate or police record), I submitted all the docs and they were approved, with the I-130 which is also approved. What’s going on at the NVC?”

Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh answered on May 26, 2020

we have fixed this for several clients this year.

We can represent you for the final stages of setting up the

profile and complete the remaining forms including the Dept of State

forms and prepare the client for interview. There is also a new public charge

form added since Feb.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: can a person with a tourist visa to the usa come here, get married, and stay here after she marries a us citizen?

thai citizen with a B1 tourist visa

has a 10 year old daughter

would plan on getting married to me, a us citizen

can she stay after marriage to me and apply for a greencard?

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Mar 9, 2020

Your plans to have your fiancée enter the U.S. with a B-1/B-2 visa in order to marry a U.S. citizen and adjust status with USCIS is an inappropriate use of the non- immigrant visitor visa. An attempt to file a request to adjust status with USCIS can be denied based on a misrepresentation at the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: Hello,Can I still work on my F1 OPT after I get my H4 COS approved and before H4 EAD arrives?

I am currently on F1 OPT and have applied for concurrent change of status to H4 & EAD.

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jul 14, 2015

You can work until your EAD expires. If you get another EAD H4 the one you have right now will be void. So yes, you can work on OPT Until H4 EAD arrives.

"15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Montana on
Q: immigration law

Brazilian citizen, been to usa 6 times over last 4 yrs., has a current student visa...and a current tourist visa..... she will be here in Jan. 2015.... during this time we will get married..... she and I will get married in Feb. or such....she will apply for a 'green card'.... in oct.... Read more »

Stephen Baird
Stephen Baird answered on Dec 5, 2014

From the situation you describe, you potentially have a few issues. If she enters the US on a non-immigrant visa with the intent to marry you and file for a green card, she has lied to the agents at the border by claiming to be coming to the US without the intent to immigrate.

It is also...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.