Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Michael Drew Raisman

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Pennsylvania on

Q: How do I get a copy of my grandmother's will apparently I was left something in the will but no one ever told me

Michael Drew Raisman answered on Mar 28, 2018

If the will was probated, then you can get a copy at the local Register of Wills. You can also reach out to the executor who has an obligation to notify all heirs that an estate has been opened.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania on

Q: We live in PA. We filed a Will and my fiancé left me the house. Do I need to b on the house title to be really Legal??

House was owned by deceased wife and my fiancé. She had four kids...can they fight me for the house even tho he has left it legally to me?

Michael Drew Raisman answered on Mar 28, 2018

It depends on the deed and will.

If the house was owned by your fiancé and his wife who predeceased him as tenants by the entireties, then the house would have become his upon the death of his wife. If the will leaving the house to you is valid, then the children shouldn't be able to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Divorce and Probate for Pennsylvania on

Q: My mother remarried and found an old bank account of deceased husbands. Why can she not access the money?

It's been 10 years since he passed , she has had her last name changed, she says she needs to divorce her current husband and have her name changed back. Is this true? She is trying to take the money for herself and I need to know if I'm entitled to a share of it as I am his biological daughter,... Read more »

Michael Drew Raisman answered on Mar 28, 2018

If the bank account is in her deceased husband's name, then she may need to open up his estate. The bank probably will not give her the funds until she begins probate. In that case, she'll either need to present the will to the Register of Wills (of which you would then be entitled to see), or it... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Pennsylvania on

Q: My father died in February of 2017. Stepmother refuses to let me see his will. How can I see it

Michael Drew Raisman answered on Mar 28, 2018

If an estate was opened, you can go to the local Register of Wills. If not, you can file a Petition requiring your stepmother to produce the will. If there is no will, then the estate goes through intestate which would give 50% of the estate to his wife, and 50% to his children.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.