Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Salvatore Bonanno
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Connecticut on
Q: What kind of charges do you get for a second dui?
Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Nov 23, 2018

You’re still charged with a dui; however, if you have a prior dui conviction, then the 2nd dui exposes you to 120-day mandatory minimum jail sentence and a felony conviction for the 2nd dui.

Hire an experienced attorney to get the best chance to avoid jail.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: How long does someone have to do in jail for not appearing to their halfway house when they'r supposed to?

My boyfriend was arrested for leaving for work with a pass from the halfway house but not returning on time.

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Nov 19, 2018

It depends on what happens at court. If he's charged with escape, the consequences could be severe. If there's a good explanation as to why he didn't return on time, the matter could be resolved without any jail. Hard to tell. He needs to have an attorney representing him.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: can i go to jail?

My friend stayed was staying at my house. He was wanted by the police but I had no idea. The cops raided my apt for him and he had a gun. I got charged with risk of injury because my daughter (7 years old) was in asleep in her room. He admitted to the police that it was his. But im afraid I can go... Read more »

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Apr 3, 2018

You can go to jail if the police arrest you; if not, then you’d be ok. DCF may begin an investigation because of they being in the house when you had this wanted man (with a firearm) in your house.

Hire an attorney ASAP.

Take care

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: How doees the good Samaritan law in Connecticut work for overdose
Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Mar 25, 2018

Not sure I understand your question. Perhaps you can give some details that put your question in context.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: How to prove someone does not live with when a protective order prevents you from going home?

My brother was charged with threatening in the 2nd in Connecticut. He was released on bond and had his arraignment already. They continued the protective order and told him to prove his accuser does not live there after he told the judge she does not. Currently the mother of his 2 young children is... Read more »

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Feb 25, 2018

He has a few options. If he is the lawful owner of the residence, he can hire an attorney to begin an eviction process to lawfully remove the woman from his residence. If he is not the owner, then he should inform his landlord that the landlord needs her evicted, as he cannot enter the premises... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: 19 years old and in school, under investigation, should he have an attorney? My son is accused of insighting peace?!

Claims that he pulled the pin and threw a grenade into a room at my home during a birthday party, not active/ historic item, other kids picked it up and took it into the room, he didn’t have it or pull pin, it was on the floor and wasn’t put together, he picked it up and said it’s fake, and... Read more »

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Feb 21, 2018

Your son must have a criminal defense attorney.

If your son already went to the police and gave them a statement, that could be very problematic. He should not speak with the police without having a criminal defense attorney present with him.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: One of my conditons on probation are not being around minors, the judge won’t modify to see my son because I violated..

I was able to see my son since day one. I violated probation and they took my approved supervisors away so I now haven’t been able to see my son for a year. My ex went through training and paid to become a supervisor again and she’s getting the run around being told to check in next month when... Read more »

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Feb 25, 2018

The can modify the conditions of probation; however, they often rely on the probation officer's (PO) recommendation. As a result, the PO had de facto control over what will or won't be modified.

You need to secure a criminal defense attorney to reach out to the PO and prosecutor to attempt...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: My friend is being verbally and physically abused by her husband who is in a wheelchair can he be arrested for abuse?

I called the police last Tuesday two male and one female police officers showed up. The female took pictures of her arm which has a big bruise. The two males asked the husband if he wanted to press charges against her! He’s abusing her physically and mentally but because he’s in a wheelchair... Read more »

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Feb 25, 2018

Absolutely. Assault or harassment is a crime, which carries prison time; particularly, if the victim is over the age of 60, or mentally or physically disabled.

If the behavior does not stop, you need to notify someone who can prevent this abusive behavior.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: I have been charged with sales of a narcotic and they have video and audio

The public defender said that there are a number of voices in The Herd on the video and the person that's allegedly me she cannot say with certainty that is me and there's no transaction in the video what should I do

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Jan 26, 2018

It’s difficult to properly respond without viewing the video myself. What you can do is ask your PD to ask the state how the state can prove it’s you that’s on the recording, and that it’s you that committed the offense. Perhaps they will realize how weak the recording is and drop or reduce... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: I was arrested and the charges were dismissed if the record is expunged can the government ever retrieve or resserect it

I have been told that an expungement means all court documents relating to an arrest are destroyed, however I have also been told that they still exist in some form. For example in extreme circumstances the courts can find the records again. My state is Connecticut, thank you for your help.

Salvatore Bonanno
Salvatore Bonanno answered on Jan 24, 2018

Pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes § 54-142d (the Erasure Statute), once your charges are dismissed, then are no longer available to the public. In fact, Connecticut General Statutes §54-142e allows someone to swear under oath that they were never arrested. That being said, the court can... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.