Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Roberto M. Vazquez
2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Florida on
Q: I'm 19 and I'm getting sued for 100k. I'm currently a full time student and I don't work or own any property.

One year ago I was involved in a car crash and my insurance company paid the other person involved the agreed amount. One year later (today) I'm getting sued for over 100k and I don't work and don't own property. What should I do?

Roberto M. Vazquez
Roberto M. Vazquez
answered on Mar 17, 2023

This sounds like a subrogation lawsuit, which I'm very familiar with. These usually come about when the insurance company for the other driver pays out because of the accident, but then seeks to recover that money from the person they deem to be at fault. You should try to speak with an... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Florida on
Q: Which state laws do I follow if I'm being sued for a car crash out of state?

I'm being filed a suit from the plaintiff who lives in the state where the accident occurred, but I live in a different state. Will I be subjected to the laws of the state where the accident took place? Or the laws where I live? For example, will my assets be protected under my state's... View More

Roberto M. Vazquez
Roberto M. Vazquez
answered on Aug 29, 2022

Generally speaking, the car accident will be filed where the accident occurred. However, your state's law would usually control assets located within that state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.