Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Animal / Dog Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California on

Q: Can I get in trouble for fixing my neighbors pit bulls without them knowing?

My neighbors live several cities away and never come to visit their dogs. They have a relative that lives locally and he feeds them maybe once a week if that. We feed them, water them and make sure they have shelter. They breed and they are all related. I have been wanting to get them fixed. I am... Read more »

William John Light answered on May 26, 2019

Just call Animal Control. Otherwise, you are guilty of vandalism to personal property.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Maryland on

Q: I was bitten by a dog on 2/12/2018. The trial was held on 5/17/2019. I was shocked I lost. If I filed an appeal I

probably would lose again. I would like to pursue a claim under the Common law of liability for other than the owner. Can you assist me?

Mark Oakley answered on May 26, 2019

If you lost against the dog owner then you’re almost certainly barred from suing anyone else. Was the case heard on the merits? And in what court and for how much did you sue for (e.g., more than $5000)? Answers to these questions may help decide what options you have.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for North Carolina on

Q: Should I expect to get reimbursed at least for medical bills at Urgent Care facility for dog bite - $175.00?

I'm riding my bicycle through my neighborhood (on the street) last night, and I come up on a lady with 2 German Shepherds loose in her yard with her. I hear her say "oh no", and the dogs start growling/barking, and then they attack me. As she's yelling "they don't bite", one of them gets me good on... Read more »

Denise Anderson answered on May 25, 2019

Yes, you should be able to receive reimbursement for the medical bills you incurred. You can also receive compensation from the dog owner for the injuries you suffered. You need to show that the German Shepherds were pet dogs, and the owner did not confine them. Vicious dogs like German... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Wrongful Death for Nevada on

Q: How do I file civil action against my neighbor whose dog attacked my dog? My dog had to be euthanized.

My dog was on his leash. The dog that attacked him was in his home,but he got out because the front door was open.

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

In most states the most you can get for the death of a dog is the "market value" of the dog. You may be able to get negligent infliction of emotional distress--suggest you contact a member of the Nv assn for Justice in the county where this happened--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: My handicapped dog is an escape artist. Dog warden is filling charges against me.

He had done this 3 times in last year. She says it is more egregious because he is handicapped. What can I do? This is in PA not NJ. Don't know why it sent that location.

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

Who is handicapped the dog? Whether handicapped or not, it is up to you to make sure Houdini the dog can't get out. He gets out, you get cited. If you can explain why it isn't your fault you can plead not guilty but chances are it'll be on you.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: What determines ownership of a dog? I was advised that a dog license does not since anyone could obtain one for any dog.

I spoke to a license manager in my county who advised that having a license for a dog does not mean that you own that dog. So then what does? Vet bills, groomer receipts, etc??

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

All the above. If you got the dog from someone be useful to get something signed from that person.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: is it legal to have ducks for pets in archbald pa

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

The zoning officer should be able to tell you. Normally ducks are viewed as fowl--if you can keep hens, chances are you may keep ducks.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California on

Q: My dog injured/scratched someone. What am I expecting in legal issues? I had just received a letter from his lawyer.

I took my dog to my usual dog sitter. My dog ran off leash while he was being walked by the dog sitter and scratched someone on the wrist. The person is now seeking medical compensation. What can I expect from this? I was alerted of this situation from my dog sitter after the incident occurred. Who... Read more »

Manuel Alzamora Juarez answered on May 22, 2019

Call your insurance agent and open a case with your company. Do not anser or talk to the victim's lawyer let your insurance company defend the case. they will provide you with a lawyer that will talk to you. Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Rhode Island on

Q: What are my rights as a dog owner against false complaints?

When I let my dog out at night 10:30-midnight and he barks my neighbors complain (two of them - who have "ganged" up on me). (One neighbor says he wakes up her son and he can't go back to sleep.) My dog may only bark for a few seconds before I bring him in. (I stand in the doorway to watch him do... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2019

If upon affirmation in writing, signed by a resident of this town, and after investigation by the animal control officer or a police officer, that officer has cause to believe that an animal, whether licensed or not, is a habitual nuisance by reason of trespassing, howling, barking or making other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Any laws about dogs barking non-stop when owners aren't home but leave windows open so very loud for hours at a time

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2019

Check your local municipal code for your specific town. The ordinance are generally available online.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Louisiana on

Q: What is the maximum penalties for animal at large Louisiana

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on May 21, 2019

Get a leash, update your dog's vaccinations and a fenced yard and you may have no penalties.

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on

Q: Does the animal cruelty laws in state of oklahoma also applies from dr associated or veternary visit at a local petco?

A family member of mine's service in training dog was abused in choke position while the 1 year old puppy was screaming and crying while customers were staring at the vet dr at local petco. Plus the female doctor was also hitting him on the head and nose because of improper medical training with... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 20, 2019

The answer to your question depends on the definition of "animal cruelty" under Oklahoma statutory law. If you are still interested in learning whether the vet's treatment is covered, hire a lawyer who specializes in animal law in Oklahoma.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Tennessee on

Q: My mom is trying to keep my dog after watching her a couple weeks and now won’t give her back, is it legal?

She got my pup spayed and the rest of her shots while I was gone, but now she won’t give her up and says I can’t take care of her. She’s trying to put her up for adoption. Is this legal? Can I get my dog back?

Richard Winblad answered on May 17, 2019

Probably, check into small claims in your state.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Minnesota on

Q: What if you bring a neighbors dog in your house overnight to sleep with you is that illegal?

Is that considered dog-napping?

Richard Winblad answered on May 17, 2019

I doubt that Minnesota has a kidnapping law related to animals or pets. It could be considered conversion of chattels.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana on

Q: Can a landlord still charge me a pet deposit for my pet who is an emotional support dog?

Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on May 16, 2019

An emotional support animal is not the same as a service animal. Indiana law recognizes that service animals are not pets and therefore are not subject to 'no pets rules' or 'pet deposits.' However, as previously stated, an emotional support animal is NOT a service animal and are therefore still... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Car Accidents and Personal Injury for California on

Q: Gave dog away 3 months ago but no paperwork filed. Now Dog caused a motorcycle accident. Who is responsible for damages

Only proof we have is text messages stating they were willing to give dog a new home. And post on facebook showing we were giving him away.

William John Light answered on May 16, 2019

Unclear how a dog caused a motorcycle accident. If this was a biting incident, the owner is strictly liable. If the person in control of the dog is not an owner, then the injured person would need to prove that the person in control was negligent, while the owner would still be strictly liable.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California on

Q: My cat gouged her eye on a faulty private labeled Petco toy and is now blind in that eye. What action can I take?

The toy was a cat tunnel and a metal rod that keeps the round shape was sticking out from the fabric which it should not have been. I contacted Petco, they said they said the toy was their own private label company and would have some one contact me from the resolution team and no one has. I have... Read more »

William John Light answered on May 14, 2019

If you prevail, you are entitled to recover the veterinary bills you incurred to care for your cat. You are not entitled to lost wages, commissions or profits.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Kentucky on

Q: Our dog snuck out, when the door was open and seriously hurt our neighbors small dog, will we lose our dog

She also knocked down the owner of the dog while trying to save it, ours is a bull mastiff, pit bull, blue tick hound mix

Timothy Denison answered on May 10, 2019

You May lose your dog. You are obligated to control your dog at all times and you are responsible for all damage your dog does. If the injured dog survives, you might slide by without your dog being euthanized.

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California on

Q: How do I get my dog back from a local business who found it after it escaped from my yard?

My dog escaped from our yard after a windstorm blew open our gate. We put up flyers, contacted all animal shelters within the county, and posted on various internet boards to no avail even though this dog is microchipped. Three weeks later we learned a good Samaritan had taken the dog to a local... Read more »

William John Light answered on May 7, 2019

First, make a demand upon the owners of the business that it, or its employees, return your dog. If your demand is refused, you can bring a Small Claims action.

If you could convince a Small Claims judge that the dog found by the business is your dog, you can recover the value of the dogs...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.