Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Andrew M Shaw
2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: If mother has no custody but visits the child once a month can I file for child support ?
Andrew M Shaw
Andrew M Shaw answered on Jun 6, 2019

Absolutely. Under the 2010 Appellate Division case of Colca v. Anson, "parents are expected to support their children until they are emancipated, regardless of whether the children live with one, both, or neither parent." Notably, child support does not belong to either parent. Under the 2002... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for New Jersey on
Q: Hi I’m a recently divorced mom of two children. My divorce was finalized on May 12 and I share custody with my x husband

Due to verbal abuse I fled my home as he refused to leave. He now has the house and I rent. I’m not working quite f/t yet but taking as many hours as I can. He is supposed to pay for reasonable child activities but either says no or doesn’t answe me. Please can you help? I had to borrow the... Read more »

Andrew M Shaw
Andrew M Shaw answered on Jun 4, 2019

You should likely first have an attorney write a letter to him on formal letterhead, sent via regular and certified mail, demanding immediate payment and threatening to take legal action if he does not comply with the divorce judgment. Second, if he refuses or fails to respond within a specified... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.