Questions Answered by Peter D Morowski

Q: A person I sued after I was injured on their business's property requested we arbitrate instead. Is this a good idea?

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Arbitration / Mediation Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 12, 2018
Peter D Morowski's answer
There are many benefits to arbitration, most particularly it is typically much faster than a state court lawsuit. That said, if you are unrepresented by counsel I would be weary of agreeing to arbitration. Arbitration is a lot like a trial. I have never heard of an injury matter being arbitrated. In arbitration, the arbitrator or panel of arbitrators will decide your case and you will not have the benefit of a jury. You should also know that in arbitration, unlike a court case, there is...

Q: My son damaged a vehicle while at school. What is my responsibilities and what are my rights in the matter?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Collections for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 3, 2018
Peter D Morowski's answer
There are several things about this that are unusual. Are you saying you received a letter from the insurance company for the other car or your insurance company? I find it odd that an insurance company is threatening to "take your driver's license." An insurance company does not have that power. Assuming it is a letter from the other insurance company, I would recommend you contact you insurance company. Have you verified that your child actually damages a vehicle? Assuming he did not...

Q: I have a work comp case in Nd. Will there be a cash settlement after I have recovered from my broken back or maybe not

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Car Accidents for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 12, 2018
Peter D Morowski's answer
There are many factors which come into play when answering your question. It is likely that your best chance for a cash recovery would be if you were injured by a third-party who was not an employee of your your employer. I recommend that you consult with an attorney in North Dakota who specializes in personal injury law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.