Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Chris W. Burks
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: After a company wide pay cut, can the company pay out previously accrued leave at the current, reduced rate of pay?

The nonprofit I work for issued 25% pay cuts to all employees due to financial distress. They plan on paying out previously accrued leave at the new, reduced rate of pay even though the leave was accrued prior to the pay cut at a higher rate.

Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks
answered on Feb 14, 2020

Thanks and it depends on the wording in the employee handbook or policy setting forth the leave. If the policy guarantees leave at a set rate and operates as a contract, then you may have a claim. Happy to speak anytime on this 501-891-6000.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Arkansas on
Q: Wrongful Termination (Arkansas)?

I have a serious injury (not work related) that has caused me to miss several days of work. I have had several ER visits for pain, Dr visits working on fixing the issue, and days where I simply could not move. That said, I understand missing excessive time is wrong. Where I don't... Read more »

Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks
answered on Sep 15, 2019

Thanks and yes it is worth your time to call an employment law attorney. The facts you have described seem like you have a case. There are of course other facts that matter too, but an employment law attorney will be able to consult with you

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas on
Q: sole legal custody parent has not gotten glasses or eye exam for vision impair son for a year. Can the NCP get legal cus

My boyfriend's Ex-wife has sole physical and legal custody (he was unaware of what he was giving up). Their son has bad vision, he has gone over a year without an eye exam and went without glasses for a year. My boyfriend kept asking her when she was going to do it and she kept saying she was... Read more »

Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks
answered on Apr 5, 2019

Thanks and the standard for a change in custody in Arkansas is a material change in circumstances. You could argue that the child's poor attendance and performance in school, coupled with worsening health amounts to a change in circumstances. There are many factors a Court will consider, but... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.