Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Chase Van Oostendorp
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: In the state of Utah do you get alimony for 15 yr marriage ? When spouse makes over 100,000 dollars
Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Feb 23, 2022

Alimony is dependent on:

1. The paying spouse's ability to pay;

2. The receiving spouse's need for alimony;

3. The marital standard of living; and

4. Length of the marriage.

Alimony is very much a case by case analysis. I suggest you talk with a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Sexual Harassment for Utah on
Q: A neighbor accused our 12 year old of getting nakid with her either holding her against the wall or laying on top of

her cps was called by the school and we are meeting with a detective tomorrow. Does he need legal counsel?

Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

Absolutely. These are very serious allegations that may have serious consequences (expulsion from school, protective orders, etc.)

I highly suggest speaking with an attorney who specializes in juvenile law.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: Does an unmarried mother in Utah have sole physical custody? Paternity is established.
Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

Very simply, no. Parents are equal under the law, regardless of gender.

However, many other factors must be considered, for example, the court would look at the custody factors found in UCA 30-3-10 to determine a parent-time arrangement as well as physical and legal custody.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Utah on
Q: How do you get a custody order reversed that was falsified? What can you do when they intercepted mail and had no idea?

My fathers ex girlfriend while living with him went to the courts and filed for custody of my sister claiming she didn’t know where he was. And would get all the mail and summons to appear and hid it from my dad so they granted her full custody. Jump forward a year and she assaults my dad again... Read more »

Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

This is a tricky situation. There are ways to undue orders, especially those that were obtained under false pretenses. Please see Utah R. Civ. P. 60.

This seems to be a complicated issue. I would advise you to talk with a lawyer who is familiar with domestic issues like this.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Domestic Violence and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: My ex has my car that i paid for. He has the car because both names are on the car. He totaled it and wants the title.

There is a restraining order so this is why it’s difficult. What do i do about the car situation and the title? I believe he’s getting money from the insurance company.

Chase Van Oostendorp
Chase Van Oostendorp answered on Jan 13, 2022

Is your ex your ex husband? If so, does the Divorce Decree state who retains possession of the vehicle? Is the restraining order against you or your ex?

These factors will have an impact on what your relief may be in this situation.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.