Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Charlie Gray
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: I have been charged today (citation) for driving at 85mph on an highway with 65mph limit, lincoln county NC.

I am 26 living in NC and I don't have a single traffic ticket or violation so far and clean on my criminal records. Today I got a speeding citation(GS 20-141(J1)) on highway for driving 20mph over the limit of 65mph and was given court date. I am worried if this will impact my career since as... Read more »

Charlie Gray
Charlie Gray answered on Jul 30, 2021

Most counties reduce speeding tickets to give people an incentive to go ahead and take care of them. Technically, speeding at a high enough speed is treated as a criminal charge and, if convicted, would show up on a background check. Getting it reduced would address this and is usually how traffic... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina on
Q: My court appointed attorney told me I had an FTA with 25000 secure bond but 4 days later no warrant issued. Why?

My lawyer said due to cases being so old he could not get it continued in district court even though I was outta town with car issues and told me the just issued an FTA with 25000 secure bond and now 5 days later including the weekend they have not issued a warrant

Charlie Gray
Charlie Gray answered on Jul 30, 2021

An FTA is not the same thing as an Order for Arrest (OFA). It is possible an OFA has not been issued yet, some counties allow a grace period between the missed court date and issuing an OFA to give people with a good reason for missing court a chance to fix it. It is also possible there is an OFA... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for North Carolina on
Q: I was issued a hit and run citation. I didn’t realize I hit the other vehicle in a parking lot. What should I do next?

I am prepared to repair the damage but I really had no idea it made contact. I knew I was close but didn’t tell or hear any contact. My car had a light scratch only. The other has a plastic 1/4 panel that will need to be painted and dent removed. I have no criminal or traffic infractions on my... Read more »

Charlie Gray
Charlie Gray answered on Jul 30, 2021

Every county handles these differently. In some, if the owner of the other car is made whole (i.e. if your insurance pays for the damage or you pay for it out of pocket) the DA will dismiss your case or reduce it to a lesser offense. It would be best for you to get an attorney in the county where... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.