Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Ashley Robinson Winn
1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: Virginia: How might an inmate pursue sentence relief after transfer to the VADOC if they feel they were over-sentenced?

An inmate was sentenced to 90 years (suspended 63) for three robberies and one attempted robbery in 2001 long before the passing of Virginia House Bill 1936 which establishes classifications and sentencing guidelines for robberies. The inmate did not use a firearm in the commission of the... Read more »

Ashley Robinson Winn
Ashley Robinson Winn answered on Oct 14, 2021

Since the law is not retroactive, hire an attorney to bring up all of the positive factors at the inmate’s next parole hearing. It is too late to do a Motion to Reconsider under Virginia Law. You have 21 days from entry of the final order to have the motion heard. It must be ruled on within those... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Virginia on
Q: I have already been sentenced in federal court and am to self surrender on Nov1, I wrote my sentencing judge and asked f

For electronic monitoring instead of prison, I was denied because she doesn't have jurisdiction since she sentenced me. Who can I talk to about it now.

Ashley Robinson Winn
Ashley Robinson Winn answered on Oct 14, 2021

Federal court is very strict with procedures and Home electronic monitoring should have been requested at sentencing. If the sentencing judge has lost jurisdiction, there is little that can be done, particularly if the appeal time has passed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Virginia on
Q: I was a victim of police violence, denied my constitutional rights, falsely arrested for and convicted of a crime

Five officers dragged my face along a parking lot then covered it up by claiming I had a "Nose Bleed". I submitted hard evidence to prove my injuries were NOT from blunt force, but from dragging. Both the Civilian Board, Police Auditor or Internal Affairs did not consider ANY OF MY... Read more »

Ashley Robinson Winn
Ashley Robinson Winn answered on Oct 14, 2021

You can file a citizen complaint under Virginia code section 9.1-600. Your attorney should approach the Commonwealth’s attorney about the withholding of exculpatory evidence to see if he or she might reopen the case. This is serious misconduct. Talk with IAD again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.