Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Juvenile Law and Adoption for Virginia

Q: When I was 12 I took my adoption father to court/put him in jail for raping me over the years and..

My adoption mother bailed him out the same night he got arrested. Over the years, the case wasn't going anywhere and I was convinced by them to drop the charges and come home. Eventually I did and it didn't get better. I'm 23 now and I'm not being raped but I'm sexually harassed and groped when I go over there and my mind is no longer sane. My family didn't believe me before and now I have a 2 year old that stays there 2 days out of the week. What can I do to make him stop touching me? I want to catch him on camera in the act and make him pay. I want him to pay for the childhood he gave me and the emotional scars I live with daily

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: There doesn't appear to be any reason why you couldn't call the police or go to the magistrate for the ongoing situations (sexual battery) and/or stop going to that home and keep your child out of that home. You may want to get a consultation with an attorney to make a safety plan. Stay safe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.