Chico, CA asked in Civil Rights, Environmental and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Stop code enforcement from hitting returnees with violations with hefty fines in paradise, CA. can anything be done?

Some of us are starting to receive violation notices from the city of paradise for code violations that are 2 months old along with the hefty fines for each. We were told that we would fall under a disaster ordinance upon return and I believe for up to 18 months. Now it is said only 180 days. the city is changing the ordinances upon whims and we are incurring costs that most of us can't afford to pay to the city after they just received payout from PG&E for over 300 million. We don't understand why code enforcement is hitting those is us living in RV's, Camp Trailers, etc. on our properties with these violations when clearly we are only doing what we can to survive and start to rebuild.The city council has changed the meetings without notice and is approving amended ordinances at each meeting without the towns people knowing what has been changed then we get hit with violations. The petty stuff town council is pulling is obscene we need help and representation regarding our rights

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California


You need to get familiar with the City's Municipal Code right away. You and the others like you should appeal every citation you get. Get yourselves a good civil rights lawyer who can represent you in every citation case.

Find yourself a good lawyer who has knowledge of civil rights laws, in your county, to help you. Do not delay, because time is of the essence in dealing with citations like these. Your rights can and should be protected in Federal Court.

Prepare a chronology of events along with a list of all witnesses (i.e. code enforcement officers etc.), and keep track of every citation you get. Turn that material over to a good lawyer and ask for help. Go to your county's local Bar Association referral service and ask for a referral to a civil rights lawyer. Interview more than one if necessary, but get going!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.