Rindge, NH asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Small Claims for Rhode Island

Q: Which official could I discuss filing a charge of theft, embezzlement against a Rhode Island resident with?

My mother died in 2006 and left $100,000 for my children. The money was put into two individual money market accounts managed by my half brother (a Rhode Island resident). We have those documents. In 2014 my son received a $25,000 disbursement along with a text chain which confirms in Thom's own words the origin of the money and it's intended use. We have those messages. Since my daughter turned 18 in 2018 he has resisted all contact and attempts to get him to turn over the money. Recently, I had an attorney send him a demand letter which he responded to by alleging that the money was his. Who could I speak with about perhaps filing a criminal charge against him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: This message will likely be deleted due to the inclusion of proper names, consult with a private attorney to bring a civil action in the appropriate court. They will also be able to advise you on any potential criminal charges after you present all of your evidence in a private and confidential setting. If the attorney who assisted you in 2006 is still practicing, they would be my first recommendation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.