Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Rhode Island Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: It’s a very long story, but I’ll just give you a brief summary of my issues. I was in a 12 year relationship .

We became legal Domestic partners. He is refusing to give me some of my furniture. He’s blocked me in his phone, email and texts

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Nov 2, 2022

If the furniture is all that you are concerned about, consider filing a case in the small claims court. To explore the implications of "legal domestic partners" and whether that may involve court proceedings to dissolve, meet with a practicing attorney to discuss those details in private.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: Can a lawyer serve me court papers for a credit card bill 13 years old in ri?

This collection agency has been doing this to me over and over. I'm on disability and can't afford this and I can't handle the stress.

Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 21, 2021

Usually you cannot be sued on a credit card debt that is older than ten years. Also, recipients of Social Security Disability are usually not subject to collection. If all you have is disability benefits, then the collection agency or law firm cannot take your money. If you explain that you are on... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: Which official could I discuss filing a charge of theft, embezzlement against a Rhode Island resident with?

My mother died in 2006 and left $100,000 for my children. The money was put into two individual money market accounts managed by my half brother (a Rhode Island resident). We have those documents. In 2014 my son received a $25,000 disbursement along with a text chain which confirms in... View More

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on May 21, 2021

This message will likely be deleted due to the inclusion of proper names, consult with a private attorney to bring a civil action in the appropriate court. They will also be able to advise you on any potential criminal charges after you present all of your evidence in a private and confidential... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: I just found out I have been paying rent since October to a person who didn't own the house. It was a foreclosure

the people who actually bought the house got the paperwork yesterday and showed up today. What can be done about the rent we have paid so far to the shady person who did this to us

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Jul 6, 2020

Report them to the authorities. compliance is mandatory. Retain an attorney if you are served with an eviction complaint.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Small Claims and Products Liability for Rhode Island on
Q: Hi, I moved in with a close friend like 5 months ago to rent out a room in her house. No verbal agreement was signed, be

sides that i would pay half. now shes trying to "evict" me. What do i do ????

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 2, 2020

This is something a Rhode Island landlord-tenant attorney should advise on. But your post remains open for four weeks. The other categories aren't really relevant. But as a practical matter at this point, if the dynamic in such close confines is uncomfortable, whatever the state of affairs... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: My now ex girlfriend is refusing to give me my paychecks that were set up to be direct deposited into her account.

She is saying because I owe her money, which I admit I do. However we made an aggreement of $300/month towards what I owe her. Now she wont give me any of my checks. What can I do?

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Oct 23, 2019

Locate the signed copy of the agreement you wrote for the $300 a month repayment of the loan.

File it with your case in the small claims court, IF the total amount is less than $2500

View More

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: My boyfriend's dad is our landlord, his son just got locked up last night and next day he writes a note saying I have to

Move in 2 days and he just accepted my payment for rent this month, can I get my money back

Andrew Bilodeau
Andrew Bilodeau
answered on Sep 1, 2019


Based on the info you provided, your boyfriend’s father would have to evict you and give you proper notice.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Products Liability and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: hello i have lost an $2200 camera that i rented whats going to happen to me ?
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
answered on Feb 13, 2019

If you truly lost the item, then you have most likely not committed a crime. However, you are responsible for the loss, and you will have to reimburse the person who loaned you the camera. That means you are most likely going to have to pay the value of the camera back.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: friend will not acknowledge any of my attempts to reclaim my possessions which he said he would if i ever got to nervous

This friend of mine showed interest in a brand new Xbox One X. Although I was very reluctant to let him "try" it out, he assured me that if at any point I became uncomfortable, that he'd bring back to me no problem. After sleeping on it I decided I was very unnerved and felt I needed... View More

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Feb 17, 2018

If you can't resolve it amicably, it may be time to take your "friend" to small claims court.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I take someone to court because they threw out my things that was at their house after an argument?
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Sep 6, 2017

Small claims court is open to everyone. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Criminal Law and Employment Law for Rhode Island on
Q: At what point is this harassment?

I was told by a police officer yesterday to not speak with my roommate/co-worker and to get a restraining order on her because I had to write two police reports on her yesterday. Word got around work that I was going to get one and now she is having my other co-workers come to my desk and taunt me,... View More

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Jun 25, 2017

For your own peace of mind, you might be looking for a new live/work situation. A restraining order will likely necessitate exceptions to allow for incidental contact at work/home and may be of little help to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.