Lutherville Timonium, MD asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Workers' Compensation for Maryland

Q: employer asking me to pay him money for my H1B visa transfer

Employer didnt find me a project for 5 months. He didnt pay me salary and is asking me to pay for the one month salary paid during the no work period, H1B transfer. He is threatening to collect it from my reference person incase I fail to pay.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: Well, this seems like a questionable action, but you appear to have fallen out of status. This appears to be a less than bona fide employer. There is outstanding salary that you are entitled to, but you will have to file a complaint with the Department of Labor.

Your decision to remain in the U.S. and not complain means that you knowingly did not work for five months. I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any more complications. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.