Napa, CA asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights and Education Law for California

Q: What should I do about a school district failing to set up proper accommodations for me?

I am a disabled adult american with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I was never put in contact with anyone at the school district I worked at to set up proper accommodations for me. I don't know what I should do about this, I am afraid of being blacklisted in retaliation or something.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Get a doctor's note indicating the restrictions you have related to performing your normal job, as well as any suggestions the doctor has for accommodations that could be provided by the school district that would allow you to continue to perform your job. Present that note to the district. That will trigger a duty to determine if any accommodation is available that should be offered to you.

Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.