Los Angeles, CA asked in Banking, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: A police officer threatened me when I wanted to file a report of a crime that took place against me in another country.

I was kidnapped in another country, the kidnappers have my phone with all my information, my family's information, and they made threats that they would harm me in the USA if I filed a report. I have thousands of dollars taken from my accounts, and now I am facing possible future harm to me and my family by these kidnappers. A police officer in my local police department refused to take down my report, and even threatened me about filing one because the crime took place in another country. He refused to even take down an Identity Theft report. Do I have a case against the LAPD and the city of Los Angeles.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the facts provided, you potentially have a claim against LAPD and the City of Los Angeles for their failure to carry out their duty, however the specifics of your situation and how it was handled are critical. Success of a lawsuit would hinge on proving police negligence or misconduct, which could be challenging. You should consult an attorney to evaluate the details of your situation for better guidance.

James L. Arrasmith,

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.