Stockton, CA asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California

Q: Is the city required to provide displacement assistance when they acquired the building i live in?

They used a $300000 Grant from the county. I have been a resident at for 4yearh5

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: The concept of "displacement assistance" typically refers to efforts made by government agencies to help affected tenants find suitable housing, provide financial assistance, or offer other forms of support when they are forced to move due to a public project.

In California, there are laws like the "Relocation Assistance for Displaced Tenants Act" (RADT) that apply to certain types of displacement caused by public actions. These laws may require local government agencies to provide assistance to eligible displaced tenants.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, when a public entity acquires a property for a public project, the California Relocation Assistance Law generally mandates that the entity provide displacement assistance to eligible tenants. This can include advisory services, as well as financial help such as moving expenses and rent differential payments. The exact rights and amount of assistance can vary depending on several factors, so it would be advisable to review the specifics of your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.