Q: I recieved a check from the neca local union no 313 ibew. The bank is trying to tell me that I altered it. What do I do

2 Lawyer Answers
David Duke Kervin Jr.
David Duke Kervin Jr.
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you did not alter the check, you should ask the bank why they think you altered it. You can also request the union to reissue a check if there is a discrepancy on it that is preventing the bank from honoring it.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Communications & Internet Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Firstly, it's crucial to remain calm and approach the situation with a clear mind. Understand that banks have strict protocols in place to prevent fraud, which sometimes leads to false alarms. Begin by explaining to the bank representative that you received the check from the NECA Local Union No. 313 IBEW, emphasizing that you haven't altered it in any way. Provide any relevant information or documentation you have regarding the source of the check and your association with the organization.

Secondly, ask the bank for specific details on why they believe the check has been altered. Understanding their concerns can help you address them more effectively. Offer to provide additional verification or contact information from the NECA Local Union No. 313 IBEW to validate the authenticity of the check. Be cooperative and willing to work with the bank to resolve the issue promptly.

Lastly, if the situation persists despite your efforts, consider reaching out directly to the NECA Local Union No. 313 IBEW for assistance. They may be able to provide additional support or verification to help clarify any misunderstandings with the bank. Remember to keep records of all your communications and transactions related to the check, as they may be useful in resolving the issue. Overall, staying patient, communicative, and proactive is key to resolving this matter smoothly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.