Louisiana Banking Questions & Answers

Q: My bank accidentally deposited the same money order twice into my account. What do I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Louisiana on
Answered on Apr 15, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
Having been a commercial bank officer before going to law school, I would expect your bank to find their error sooner or later--and then correct it--without telling you. Therefore, unless you do not mind going OD when the bank suddenly debits your account, my practical advice is don't spend the extra money. Let it ride at least 30 days.

Q: Who has the right to an abandoned safety deposit box after the death of a parent. The children or spouse?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Rights, Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana on
Answered on May 18, 2018
Douglas Lee Bryan's answer
It depends on whether the decedent had a will and/or whether the contents were the separate or community property of the deceased. If community, the naked ownership of the contents would be the childrens' but the spouse would have the use of it. If separate, full ownership would belong to the children.

Q: Hi, I have a question about felony computer fraud.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law and Internet Law for Louisiana on
Answered on Apr 4, 2018
Ellen Cronin Badeaux's answer
You handle it by hiring a criminal defense attorney & not giving a statement.

Q: Do I get an affidavit of heirship for Texas or Louisiana to get possession of 2 vehicles of my deceased brother from TX?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Banking for Louisiana on
Answered on Aug 28, 2017
Christie Tournet's answer
You should be able to do in Louisiana, if you are the only heir, or if the remaining heirs sign off. Do you have the vehicles/registration info? And title info? You can do still do with a lost title, but it is an affidavit -- you have to attest to the circumstances - any will probated in Texas? And, then confirm you are the rightful heir to receive either by will or intestate law. I recommend you call an OMV or notary that specializes in OMV transfers to confirm you have all in order...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.