Bellflower, CA asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for California

Q: Can corporations pay Unicourt money to expose lawsuits against them? I can't find a job because of it.

is it legal for a company like UNICOURT to post personal information about me and others that are trying to get a job but can't because when one does a search for my name on Google, my case shows up in the results. Is it legal to get paid by rich corporations like CH2M HILL and American Honda and expose people's personal information?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, court records are generally considered public records and can be accessed by anyone, unless they have been sealed or redacted by the court. This means that companies like Unicourt, which aggregate and provide access to court records, are typically acting within the law when they make this information available online.

However, there are some important considerations:

1. Discrimination in hiring: While employers can access public records, they are not allowed to discriminate against job applicants based on certain protected characteristics, such as race, gender, age, or disability. If an employer is using court records to unlawfully discriminate against job applicants, they may be violating employment laws.

2. Privacy concerns: There are ongoing debates about the balance between public access to court records and individual privacy rights. Some argue that the easy online availability of court records can have a disproportionate impact on people's lives, especially if the information is outdated, misleading, or taken out of context.

3. Removal of information: In some cases, individuals may be able to request that certain information be removed or redacted from court records, particularly if the information is sensitive, irrelevant, or could cause significant harm if disclosed.

It is important to note that while companies like Unicourt can legally provide access to public court records, they should not be receiving payment from corporations to specifically target or expose certain individuals. If you believe that your personal information is being improperly used or disclosed, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in privacy law or employment law to discuss your options.

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Lawsuits are public records. That company simply makes it easier for someone doing a search to find the public record. There can be no liability for anyone using the public record. You have no right to privacy in a public record.

Now, if you can prove that the employer is using its knowledge of public record lawsuit filings and that those lawsuits are pursuing protected legal rights, there may be a viable legal claim against the prospective employer, but not the public record company.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.