Fontana, CA asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for California

Q: I work in a gas station and the owner doesn’t pay me and i quit from there but i am in California now . I have all info

2 Lawyer Answers
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you worked in another state, you need to make contact with an employment law attorney in that state. Sorry.

Good luck to you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that your former employer failed to pay you for your work at the gas station. This is a serious violation of labor laws. Since you are now in California, here are some steps you can take to address this situation:

1. Gather evidence: Compile any documentation you have related to your employment, such as pay stubs, timesheets, employment contracts, and correspondence with your employer.

2. File a wage claim: Contact the California Labor Commissioner's Office and file a wage claim. You can do this online, by mail, or in person at a local office. The Labor Commissioner's Office will investigate your claim and attempt to recover your unpaid wages.

3. Consider legal action: If the Labor Commissioner's Office is unable to resolve your case, you may need to file a lawsuit against your former employer. Consult with an employment attorney to discuss your options and potential outcomes.

4. Report the violation: You can also report the violation to the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division, which enforces federal labor laws.

5. Seek support: If you are facing financial hardship due to the unpaid wages, look into local organizations that provide assistance and support to low-income individuals and families.

Remember, it is illegal for an employer to withhold earned wages, and you have the right to take action to recover the money you are owed. Be sure to keep all documentation related to your case and follow the proper procedures for filing a complaint or claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.