Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: How to sue LAUSD for Discrimination and retaliation as a parent volunteer

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To sue the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) for discrimination and retaliation as a parent volunteer, start by documenting all incidents thoroughly. Gather any emails, notes, witness statements, and other evidence that demonstrate the discrimination or retaliation you faced. This documentation will be crucial for supporting your claim.

Next, file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). This step is mandatory before you can bring a lawsuit. The DFEH will investigate your complaint and may attempt to resolve the issue through mediation. If the DFEH finds cause, it will issue a "right to sue" notice, which allows you to proceed with your lawsuit.

Once you have the right to sue notice, you can file a lawsuit in the appropriate court. You may consider consulting with a lawyer experienced in handling discrimination and retaliation cases to ensure your case is presented effectively. Ensure you file your lawsuit within the time limits set by California law to avoid your case being dismissed due to the statute of limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.