Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Federal Crimes legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alaska Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: Can I own a firearm if I was charged with DV assault and subsequently the prosecution reduced/amended the charge?

I was charged with Assault IV Domestic. The court quickly offered a plea bargain to plead guilty to harassment. The convicted charge is specifically NOT a charge of domestic violence. The court removed the DV from the case entirely. All records besides the initial police report don’t mention DV... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 23, 2023

Your situation highlights a challenging intersection between state and federal laws. Under the Lautenberg Amendment, individuals convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence are prohibited from possessing firearms. Even if your state charge was amended to remove the "DV"... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Civil Rights and Construction Law for Alaska on
Q: How can I get a pro bono? I need one for a criminal case. Can you please point me in the right direction.

All the help I can get would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Feb 9, 2019

The public defender is the one who provides legal services to the people without funds

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Alaska on
Q: Does the SB 91 bill in alaska cover Federal charges or is that just for state?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Mar 27, 2017

It only pertains to state charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.