Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Construction Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Civil Rights, Construction Law and Federal Crimes for Nevada on
Q: Im on pre trial release and on home confinement, why am i still being followed? And by whom?

Even trying to submit a stalking report police station declined accepting my report because of no event number. Neighbors and employer know about details of cade but its not even public. What can i do?

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law for Utah on
Q: Is there some sort of slander or other law from sending future client pictures of an incomplete job issue.

We were dealt a job through an interior designer for custom cabinetry. We were contracted through the interior designer, not the homeowner. There was a complaint from the homeowner about some touch up issues, and were working to resolve those issues. Since we haven’t received final payment, this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Tennessee on
Q: Can substantial completion be reached on new construction if there is not a fully functioning bathroom? Statue or code?

Contractor is claiming substantial completion took place before there was a functioning bathroom in my new house while it was under construction. Contractor’s attorney questioned me extensively in small claims court about all the plumbing fixtures in the house which lead me to believe all... Read more »

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Dec 1, 2021

Substantial completion means that the owner can use the improvement for the use intended. See TCA 28-3-201. There is a lot of case law on the issue. There are exceptions, such as contract terms, change orders, etc. Consult a lawyer if you need help with your case.

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law for Arizona on
Q: what are the self perform requirements for prime contractors in Arizona

Is the self perform requirement part of the statutes or an agency requirement? Specifically horizontal transportation work.

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law on
Q: Would a company be liable for destroyed tools by fire at a construction site if they were secured at the end of shift?

Because the building was 5 floors up on a 2 story concrete slab,(70+ ft) the company provided jobboxes to put our tools inside at the end of every shift. The whole site went up in flames and they are saying that all the tools are on me instead

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Real Estate Law, Business Law and Construction Law for Georgia on
Q: In Georgia, can you attach a fire escape ladder outside of your second or third or fourth story window? Permanently?

What types of certifications or permits would a company need to start installing Fire Escape Ladders in homes and commercial buildings up to four stories tall?

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Nov 25, 2021

You will need to check with your local city, county authorities to determine what type of permits and inspections will be necessary for your particular location.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Contracts for California on
Q: Is the contract for work on my house voidable? If so, what do I need to do to void this contract?

I signed a contract for work to be done on my house after some water damage was incurred. They came to my house on 10/30 to look at what needed to be done and provided me with an estimate on 11/2. However, I now know that their contractor’s license expired on 10/31.

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Nov 26, 2021

if they performed work that benefited you, you still owe the money for the work completed, regardless of their contractor license status. if they have not performed any work, then it may be possible to cancel the contract but you would have to spend money on a lawyer to review the contract and the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Construction Law and Contracts for Tennessee on
Q: A contract was to build a building including site work. Only cut a few trees. was to be done last July. He was paid

deposits. Nothing delivered. I filed suit in civil court, learned he filed bankrupcy. Can I have another firm do my project?

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Construction Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: How would you file for damages to my house that a roofing contractor did by improper installation of a metal roof?

Roof is leaking and has now made a hole in the ceiling sheet rock.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Real Estate Law for Virginia on
Q: A faulty mechanics lien was put on our house. We had an addition put in over 10 yrs ago. The contractor never finished.

After 60 days we wrote the contractor to fire him so we could get another contractor to finish the project. Found out the first contractor was not a certified contractor. First contractor put a mechanics lien on our home, stating we owed him $2,000 for a cement patio. This patio under the contract... Read more »

Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger answered on Nov 22, 2021

You have to file an action to clear the title in Circuit Court. Of course, you could send a letter or have an attorney send a letter to the contractor explaining that if he doesn't remove the lien, you're going to ask the court to award you attorney's fees for the effort and filing.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Puerto Rico on
Q: How do I go about seeing if we can build a road, sort of like a cul-de-sac & a couple of houses on 2.5 acres in PR?

My family has 2.5 acres in Arecibo Puerto Rico. We want to know the laws, the steps and who to contact to get permission/permit to have a legal road (cul-de-sac) and a couple of houses built on the land.

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law and Contracts for Iowa on
Q: On Sept 14, I signed a "proposal" for work to be done on my house. Is this binding as a contract?

I texted him twice. First time was ignored. Second time very curt response. I would like to use someone else for the work. Nothing on paper about options to cancel the proposal. What are my options?

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Georgia on
Q: Can a contractor put a lien on my home for an asbestos test my insurance company ordered?

I did not sign an paperwork or hire the contractor for the test. They were sent out by a 3rd party after I notified my insurance company of a flood in my home. My insurance company is now attempting to deny my claim and the asbestos testing company is threating to put a lien on my property because... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation, Construction Law and Contracts for Florida on
Q: Does refusal to adhere to a 5-year workmanship warranty create breach of contract and void the required arbitration?

Extensive damage occurred in my house after work was done by a company. The damage was undetected for almost four years due to its location. Once found, expensive repairs were required. Three outside specialists confirmed the cause of damage was the poor workmanship. The company refuses to pay any... Read more »

David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on Nov 16, 2021

You ask a very good question and one that I have been asked many times. An arbitration provision is valid even if the contract involved fraud. In other words, simply because fraud was involved in the transaction, that does not void the manner in which you have agreed to resolve the dispute. This is... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Connecticut on
Q: I have a 'conditional waiver and release of lien upon progress payment' that is the title BUT the last paragraph says:

In addition, the undersigned hereby releases Blank Construction, its successors and assigns, of all claims or demands of any kind whatsoever (contract or equitable), which the undersigned now has or might have against Blank Construction, Owner, Blank Construction’s surety, and/or insurance... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I sue a private contractor?

He put floor down in my bathroom and the cement he used leaked through my ceiling and went all over my stove and refrigerator still have cement on fridge. Can I get help?

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law for Colorado on
Q: Notice of Intent to File a Lien on my property by a salesman for C & D Roofing.

I have been served with a Notice of Intent to File a Lien on my property by a salesman for C&D Roofing for his time spent with the insurance adjuster. The salesman was then terminated from C&D I since have completed my contract with C&D. The roof is installed and C&D is paid. What... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Construction Law and Contracts for Tennessee on
Q: In a settlement contract with contractor. If I am late on the final payment by 4 days, is there a cure period?

I have asked him to extend the final payment $13,000 date to the 16th. He refused to extend. I am worried that the funds I deposited in my account won't clear before the 12th. There is no language in the settlement contract regarding termination, nor is there any language about breaches.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for New York on
Q: I work for a construction company that Reconditioning them. I am now being now I need vaginated for covid? Is that true
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 14, 2021

Your question remains open for almost a week. The reason could be that workplace vaccination protocols are something that employment law attorneys deal with more than construction law attorneys do (the category chosen for the question). One option is to repost your question and add "Employment... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.