Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: Can a civil rights attorney restore my right to bear arms if I had a misdemeanor domestic violence charge 5+ yrs ago?

I'm trying to join the military at 29 and this could aid in my journey. The charge is old and it's from a time I was much younger, misguided, and struggling. They were very dark times for me.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: In Ohio vs. Clark. R.c. and girlfriend at the time but now wife left my kids alone. With the knowledge and writings

With the knowledge that they have and my children now sitting in the system and them trying to use information obtained illegally with software that they created and placed on my phone with out my knowledge, what is my next step? Considering 8yrs of my life pluse abuse that she watched occur and... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence on
Q: Can you be charged for a crime/crimes dated between 2 dates ie: on or about Oct 2016 - June 2018

It being crimes that was ongoing and serious

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee on
Q: If my roommate threatened to knock me out an I have it recorded an call police can they arrest him for threatening me

He also shoved me first then threatened to knock me out but it is just audio recording not video. But since shoving me did not leave any marks they would not arrest him

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee on
Q: Can I file domestic assault charges on someone if police don't file them on the person

Roommate shoved me then threatened to knock me out. Law came out but since no marks they didn't take him to jail they just done a report. Can I go take the report to clerks office an file domestic assault charges on him. If so will he be arrested

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Domestic Violence for West Virginia on
Q: my ex boyfriend would get into my phone and send himself money. Can I take him to small claims court or what can i do?

I just want my money back. I have text messages from him telling me he was gonna pay me back. I ended up ending the relationship because he was also physically abusive. He told me that he wasn’t gonna pay me back anymore because I have a new boyfriend and so that ruined the chances of me getting... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for California on
Q: I'm in California. Detectives arrested my boyfriend for questioning and are calling to follow up with me about hit/run

It was an accident and I'm not pressing charges but neighbors witnessed him hitting me with a car and I was taken to ER for fractured leg. Should I say it was an accident/he was unaware or that he needed to hit me to stop me from attacking him with metal bar? I don't want him going to... Read more »

David Stephen Kestenbaum
David Stephen Kestenbaum
answered on May 24, 2022

You are under no obligation to talk to the police but you shouldn't lie to them. It is not up to you whether charges are filed against him, but up to the DA. The best course of action would be for you to talk to his attorney who can try to convince the DA not to file charges after getting a... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Virginia on
Q: Can charges be dropped if I testified that I was abused by my boyfriend and I wasn't and he has no bond

My my words he has been charged with felonies and I had only taken too much medicine I wasn't feeling good can he be released and will I be in trouble?

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Minnesota on
Q: Is it illegal for a parent to have a child Make a false police report against the other parent
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on May 24, 2022

Depending on the age of the child, it would be difficult to prove that the parent "forced" the child to lie to law enforcement. This would a very fact specific situation and oftentimes there are two very different perspectives to what occurred in a situation. Additionally, private... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: Can I get emergency custody or what can I do? All info is below in the more info section.

have court June 16th to get custody back children, now the person that had custody or guardianship over them has been accused by my two youngest oldest sister who is 12 and from my exs previous relationship of the male who has the kids of sexual acts, now he come Monday is going to sign or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan on
Q: His wife didn’t call 911 or even for help nor can she remember what happened and her mother did a lot of illegal things

n: My brother was accused of domestic violence against his wife he recorded the entire fight they had up until the point where he left the house. She was drinking and actually assaulted him multiple times physically with a vaccum tube. An article was published in the local newspaper stating he had... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on May 24, 2022

How did the police become involved? It is possible for both people to be charged with domestic violence. Whether the video will help him depends on the entirety of the situation; the problem with video is that it only shows a moment in time. If I pummel you, then turn on my video just as you are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Mississippi on
Q: No matter the situation when filing child support will the woman always win if the man was abusive in the relationship?

The man was physically and mentally abusive. Will the woman win full custody for this reason no matter what.

Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
answered on May 22, 2022

One of the factors that the court will take into consideration is whether violence has been perpetrated by either party during the relationship, especially if children were present at the time. Our case law and statutes are clear that the party who is found to have been violent during the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Arkansas on
Q: how do i get domestic battery charges and a no contact order dropped?

my boyfriend and i got into a pretty heated argument last night, it turned physical and he was arrested for 3rd degree domestic battery and no contact order was put into place. we are having a baby in 2 weeks and while i do not want us to get back together, i do want us to be coparents and he is my... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.