Alaska Collections Questions & Answers

Q: If I lose a civil suit, can they take my home and car?

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment and Collections for Alaska on
Answered on Jul 15, 2016
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Perhaps, depending on the value of each. Exemptions from execution, for homes and cars, are only available to certain amounts.

Q: How do I fight a default judgement against me after 18 years

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Alaska on
Answered on May 14, 2016
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
It is very doubtful that you can do anything about it. You could check the court file to see how you were allegedly served with process, but I seriously doubt that you would be able to prove the proof of service to be wrong, after all of these years. There is, as I recall, a statute which prohibits collection of a judgment that old, unless the judgment was renewed. Is the judgment creditor seeking a writ of execution or a writ of garnishment? If they are simply sending you collection...

Q: Do i owe my trustee money?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alaska on
Answered on Aug 12, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
First, Alaska doesn't have counties, so this can't be about Alaska law; it is in the wrong category.

Anyway, you will need to indicate what state (if in the US) or country you are in. Since you ask about "student welfare", and a trustee who collects the same, I'm guessing you aren't in the US.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.