Colorado Lemon Law Questions & Answers

Q: If I have a title for a vehicle I traded into a dealership, can I go get it from the dealership?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Lemon Law for Colorado on
Answered on Jul 6, 2017
D. Mathew Blackburn's answer
You should hire an attorney. This is a tricky situation that's going to have to be handled with a bit of care.

Q: The company didn't pay return shipping cost for wrong item shipped. UPS held me responsible for the bill as a shipper

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Collections, Lemon Law and Consumer Law for Colorado on
Answered on Apr 4, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
You may have grounds for a case. You should continue to try to seek an agreement between you and the seller (not UPS), but if this does not work litigation is your best choice. You likely qualify for small claims court. You may need an attorney for assistance, but you are not required to have an attorney.

Q: I bought a brand new truck 11 months ago, it has been in the shop close to 2 months, or more, since then.

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law for Colorado on
Answered on Jan 24, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
You may want to contact an attorney familiar with Colorado's lemon law. Colorado's lemon law is powerful, but restricted in its application. Specifically, the vehicle must be "new" and sold by a dealer. If these do not apply there are potential general civil claims (e.g. breach of warranty and/or misleading claims). Again, it is best to contact an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation. Most attorneys offer free consultations.

Q: Bought a diesel from an auto broker and it broke down 2 days later with a check engine light. What are our rights?

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law for Colorado on
Answered on Jul 6, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
Colorado has Lemon laws--note the vehicle must be new. Here are the rules:'s%20Lemon%20Law%20for%20Consumers%20and%20Dealers%20DR%202440_0.pdf . For used cars (and new too), there are a host of civil claims--for the details you will need to contact a lawyer (look for lemon law or defective vehicle lawyers).

Q: I purchased a car last Tuesday, if the seller knowingly sold it to me with a big problem (transmission) what can I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law for Colorado on
Answered on Apr 12, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
You can void the sale and/or seek a reduction in price. Try talking to the seller. If the seller will not negotiate, you will need to file a small claims case. For small claims, you can file pro se (w/o an attorney) or with an attorney. Your local courthouse will have self-help resources also try the CO courts webpage (link: ).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.