Kansas Collections Questions & Answers

Q: Can I file a motion to compel arbitration after the plaintiff has sent a request for discovery? Re: debt collection

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Collections for Kansas on
Answered on Mar 29, 2019
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
Probably. But you will probably need to coordinate the timing with the Court. You also must be in a Court that allows you to compel an arbitration hearing, or have a contract that has an arbitration clause in it.. Since I don't know what documents are involved (e.g. is there a contract with an arbitration clause in it). That's the best I can do.

Q: If you have a debt that has been sold to a collection agency are you legally bound to pay that debt?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Kansas on
Answered on Apr 11, 2018
David Adams' answer
The very short answer is "yes." Certain rights of collection may be affected by a subsequent owner of the debt, but as a general rule, they step into the shoes of the original holder of the debt and may proceed as if they were the original owner of the debt.

Q: I have so many questions.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Kansas on
Answered on Jan 8, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
If you are being told to go to court, then yes you are being charged. This is not a civil case from what I can tell. Contact a criminal lawyer immediately in your area. If you go to court, do not say anything except you want a lawyer. Posting on this board is not sufficient to give you the help you need. Again, contact a lawyer. And make sure to show up to the court when told.

Q: Do I need a lawyer to sue for unpaid loans? I have all the proof necessary to show that this was a loan and not a gift?!

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Kansas on
Answered on Mar 21, 2011
Kenneth J. Geniuk's answer
If you (the lender) are bringing the action as a business entity such as a corporation or LLC, then you must have an attorney. Otherwise you can bring your case without an attorney, but be careful in doing so, as you will be held to the same standards as an attorney, and will be expected to know the court rules, procedural law, rules of evidence, and so on. If the value of your case is small, you may want to consider small claims court, where neither party is allowed to have an attorney, and...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.