Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Workers' Compensation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Michigan on
Q: quit job due to harassment issue management did nothing to resolve. Caused fear getting job can I apply for unemployment
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 31, 2020

You can certainly apply for unemployment. Your question does not provide enough information to determine if you would qualify as a threshold matter. If you did, your employer may challenge it, in which case you'd be entitled to an administrative hearing to determine whether you quit for cause.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Domestic Violence for Michigan on
Q: Can I sue my job for the incident that happened today?

Today at work, I work at Spectrum Juvenile Justice Services and a resident threw urine on me. The resident had already been acting out throughout the week and the punishment for that is he couldn’t come out his room. So during the day someone had to sit at his door to monitor him. That’s what I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 24, 2019

You can't sue your job for that. Unfortunately Mental Health workers face assault and abuse but there is little that can be done. If you have a union speak with them.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Michigan on
Q: Is the severance offer fair and should I sign it under the circumstances of my release after 12 yrs employment.

It is not in line with another employees that I asked confidentially. They received one week for every year of service. I was only offered 4 for 12 years. There are many circumstances leading up to the company saying they accepted a resignation, I never gave and I repeatedly told them that.... Read more »

Marlo Bruch
Marlo Bruch answered on Aug 27, 2018

I recommend that you contact an employment attorney in your area to go over the agreement before you sign. This forum is too general to give an appropriate response.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Michigan on
Q: I told a lie to co-worker about my injury related on job, said it happened off hours and off site. did I screw myself?

unknown injury- blow to abdomen and ribs

Told mother and landlord the true story; also girlfriend. It's been three days. I just didn't want to jeopardize my new job because they've been known to fire after injuries.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 22, 2018

You made things tough for yoruself. Contact a member of the Michigan Assn for Justice that handles comp claims--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan can i quit my job for a job that accommodates my work restrictions better while on workers comp

My workers comp nurse manager told me that was my best bet. But I want to make sure if I do I won't lose my work comp

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2017

Hopefully you are working with an experienced workers comp attorney. That person's advice should dictate what you can or should do.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: I was hurt on the job in Mi but the small family own business did not have workers compensation, what can I do

I don't believe they have a large lump sum of money but can I get monthly payments from them over a period of time?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 20, 2016

You need to contact a member of the Michigan Assn for Justice who handles workers compensation claims--most states have a state fund to cover situations like yours.Short answer is if there is no comp you may sue them for the injury.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Michigan on
Q: How can I prevent an attorney from putting a lien on my workers compensation case?
Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Feb 18, 2012

I don't practice WC law in your state. However, you should review your contract with this lawyer. It may give him the right to assert a lien. Also, the lawyer may feel he has done work for you. If so, if he can show his hours that he worked on your case, thke tribunal may award him attorney's fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Michigan on
Q: I was hurt in Alabama but I reside in Michigan do I need a Alabama Lawyer to help with workmans comp settlement
Hillard Fried
Hillard Fried answered on Jan 10, 2011

Assuming that you were working for an Alabama employer, generally, you would need to submit a claim for Workers Compensation benefits in Alabama.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.