Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota on
Q: Get out of mobile home lot rent.

We rent a lot a mobile home we don't own sits on. The owner is deceased. We don't live there anymore. Do we have the right to "walk away" or what rights do we have? My fiance' is the next of kin to the deceased, but hasn't filed for executorship as of yet.... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 2, 2016

If your agreement is month-to-month, you may cancel the agreement by giving notice in writing. Timing depends on when rent is due, so usually one month notice is required.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: My neighbor has a tree on their property and a limb extends significantly past the property line into my yard.

They want me to pay to get it trimmed. Can I extend a vertical line from the prop. line and cut the limb at that point myself? Should I take them to conciliation court? I live in St Paul, MN 55117

Thank You

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Aug 4, 2016

Google "property line trees minnesota" - that should get you started in the right direction.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can I back out from buying a house?? Is it true that my agent will get sued if I back out?? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi. We are supposed to close on the house in 7 days but I don't want to buy the house anymore. We don't think we can afford it plus my husband has been having a hard time on one of the jobs I know that should have been thought first thing, but we were so excited at first that we didnt... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Jul 22, 2016

Check your purchase agreement and see what the default terms and remedies are. Check with your lender and see if you still qualify for the loan. It is not a bad idea to notify the seller -- they might have a back-up offer ready to go or they may be fine with simply keeping your earnest money.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Easement gate

I have a deeded easement and a new neighbor want to erect a gate. Wouldn't this cause inconvenience and unenjoyment of the easement? I have a home off the easement and have been here 32 years and never has there been a gate, neighbor in question has no house just land, wouldn't this be interference?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 21, 2016

I would need to know more of the specifics of your situation to provide a competent answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: If a tree on my property falls on my neighbors house through natural causes, am I liable for damages to his house?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 19, 2016

Generally, you are responsible for the damage caused by your tree if you knew there was something wrong with the tree but failed to take corrective action. If an act of God caused the tree to fall AND a reasonable person would be unaware there was something wrong with the tree, then generally you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can I sue my ex husband?


I have been divorced for 3 years now. My ex husband refuses to refinance or sell the house we still own together. I don't live in the house, he does. He has failed to pay the payment over 17 times. I would like to know if and how I can sue him for the half of the house, I have... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 1, 2015

You need to go see a local attorney, perhaps the attorney that helped you with the divorce. It depends upon what the divorce documents say.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Quick claim signature required

Daughter received deed to father's house in 1992. Was married at the time. Divorced in 1994. House is now going up for sale. Does she need her ex to sign off on a quick claim deed?

Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Jun 20, 2014

The kind of deed you are referring to is a quit claim deed. I believe your question should be asked in the divorce category. The question is whether a husband in Minnesota acquires any rights to a house that is conveyed to his wife while they are married, and what effect does a divorce have on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: I own farmland & rented it out for 3 yrs., now I want to sell it - is there anyway out of this rental agreement legally.
Kristen Bullock
Kristen Bullock answered on May 1, 2014

It would depend on the terms of the lease. However, you could offer a buy-out if the renter was receptive.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: We married couple in Minnesota-My credit bad-my hubby's is great-Can he legally get mortgage+house in his name only?
David William Jacobsen
David William Jacobsen answered on Dec 7, 2013

Your lender may choose to use only his credit history and employment information for underwriting purposes for the loan; however, as a married couple you will both be required to sign the mortgage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.