Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Health Care Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Puerto Rico Health Care Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Can a doctor not accept insurance plans they are contracted to accept?

A MRI clinic in San Juan, Puerto Rico say they don’t accept my insurance plan. In speaking with my provider they tell me they are under contract and are obligated to do so.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 18, 2023

An attorney practicing in Puerto Rico could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. Provide the billing department of the MRI center with the name and contact information for the insurance carrier representative you spoke with and ask them to contact the carrier (unless... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Health Care Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: What recourse toward hospital not living up to father's living will in PR? How do we take him off life support?

My father has been in residence at La Casa Del Veterano in Juana Diaz for many years along with my mom. Sept 24/25 he was taken to Hospital San Cristobal for problems with Covid, where they were told and then provided with a living will by my aunt. They said because it was created in the US, it... View More

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Sep 29, 2022

The Puerto Rico Notary Law, Public Law No. 75 of July 2, 1987, as amended, requires that legal documents authorized by notary publics in the U.S. be legalized by the government institution that authorizes the commission of notary publics in that state. Then, said document should be protocolized by... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Health Care Law and Public Benefits for Puerto Rico on
Q: my grandmother is elderly she's in a wheel chair barely moves do to her conditions and grandfather was her

caretaker. He just passed now my uncle has her but is not taking care of her properly. What can I do? I am located in CT and she is located in PR

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Sep 29, 2021

As part of the process to legally incapacitate an elderly citizen who can no longer care for him/herself, the Puerto Rico Civil Code requires that the candidate guardian reside in Puerto Rico. During the court process, any and all close relatives who can be considered for the guardianship must... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning, Family Law and Health Care Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Im currently taking care of my Grandmother 95 and her brother 91. How do I go about becoming their legal guardian in pr

To be able to deal with their insurance, bills and bank I have been asked several times if I have any documents that deemed me responsible legally for them. I'm not sure what the process is to do so and the responsibilities that come with the title of legal guardian.

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Sep 2, 2021

The Puerto Rico Civil Codes has a presumption that every adult is legally capable of managing his/her own affairs. Thus, getting to be designated as a tutor before Puerto Rico courts entails legally incapacitating your grandmother and grand-uncle. Doing so must be achieved in separate cases.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Health Care Law and Family Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Hi my name is Peter. I moved to Puerto Rico from Chicago to care for my mother who had cancer and was living by herself.

My mother is 78 years old and cannot care for herself. I pay for all the bills and expenses. My question is, is there any financial assistance available, through guardianship that I can apply for and how do I get this financial asistance in order to be able to pay the bills and all other expenses?... View More

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 21, 2021


Your mother can request government assistance to get food, try to qualify for medical assistance through medicaid and other services for the elderly through the local ombudsman offices as well as other government agencies that help the elderly.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Family Law and Elder Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Over 20 years done 100% of the care for 94 year old mother.there are 4 other brother, never done their share help

Am with my mother over 120 hours a week.I prepare meals for my mom,clean house, do the yard work.Buy groceries and household supplies out of my own funds.Am a Marine Vietnam combat veteran withPTSD.The situation is very difficult because I’m wasting away so my mother can live and my siblings have... View More

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
answered on May 27, 2019

Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. You have the right in Puerto Rico to file a complaint in court to force the sibblings to do thier share of the choirs. All children must do their share for care of thier elderly parent. This is the law.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Elder Law and Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Q: Is a spouse able to make healthcare decisions if there is no advanced directive or power of attorney?
Miraisy Molina-Ruiz
Miraisy Molina-Ruiz
answered on Oct 17, 2016

Yes, a spouse can make healthcare decisions even when there is no advanced directive or power of attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.