Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin DUI / DWI Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: If a university serves alcohol at an event and a student who's under 21 sneaks in, drinks, and subsequently gets into a

car accident, can the university be held responsible?

Aaron W Schenk
Aaron W Schenk answered on Aug 6, 2018

Not necessarily in a criminal sense. Normally, there might be the chance of civil liability. But, most universities have sovereign immunity based on their relationship to the state.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: For a second DUI can you get an IID instead of a suspended license?
Aaron W Schenk
Aaron W Schenk answered on Apr 12, 2018

Unfortunately, if you get convicted, you are looking at a drivers’ license revocation And an IID. I highly recommend that you seek counsel to help you with this matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: If the jail marked "released" in my file, am I still looking at jail time?

I was sentanced to a month in jail for an OWI. when I reported to the jail to check myself in, they took my ID and had me fill out paperwork on my health. I turned in the paperwork n waited in the lobby for 2 hours. They never cuffed me, and were closing so I left. I checked the jail roster... Read more »

Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson answered on Feb 27, 2018

You have to do the jail time or use up credit if you were in jail before bailed out. Contact the jailer immediately. Do not assume you have done the time. You can face additional charges if you make a mistake or assumption here. See a lawyer if need be, NOW.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: Can the host of a party be arrested if a guest later drives drunk?
Aaron W Schenk
Aaron W Schenk answered on Feb 9, 2018

It all depends on whether a crime was committed. Feel free to contact us if you have any more questions.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: My OWI charge hasn’t been filed and my court date is tomorrow. It’s been 5 weeks what could be going on?

I haven’t received a BAC ticket, I took a blood test and breathe test. I was never told my results. Nothing shows up on CCAP and I haven’t received anything about a license suspension from the DMV. This was in Wisconsin and is my 2nd

Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson answered on Jan 24, 2018

You should get a 30 day notice (you could answer in 10/13 days from date of notice) re the DMV. The BAC ticket will be filed or amended to the OWI criminal complaint. Results will be on the probable cause part of the criminal complaint

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: I have bench warrant in 2 counties for missed traffic court dates. Is it possible to resolve this without jail time

The warrants are in Racine and Milwaukee. I was going to go to intake court in Milwaukee and they informed that they would hold me for the warrant in Racine and if I tried to go in for the one in Racine first that they would hold me for the one In Milwaukee. I'm trying to avoid being processed into... Read more »

William Head
William Head answered on Aug 10, 2017

IT sounds unlikely that you will walk away from two separate bench warrants without visiting a jail.

Call a GREAT traffic offense lawyer, in WI, for a FREE consultation. Here is one, that I can recommend:

Ms. Tracey Wood, 608-284-1200

Tell her William Head from Atlanta...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: I have a dui in Illinois but live in Wisconsin. Can i get an extention on fines. I havent been able to pay.

I have had a year to pay but work has been up and down. I just recently got another job now i am able to pay. What will happen. My dead line is july 1st2016.

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 24, 2016

Any time a court sets a deadline, it is important to meet it. If you simply cannot due to circumstances beyond your control, you should contact the court immediately and ask for an extension. Failure to do so will have dire consequences.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: Is it legal for police to pull you over after running your plates and the licensed owner of comes back as suspended

Ended up getting a DUI out of it.It was dark. They had no way to verify it was me. Specifically told me the reason they pulled me over was because they ran the plates.

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 18, 2016

Yes. It has been held that that creates reasonable suspicion. That is enough to pull you over and inquire further. From that point, they can try to develop probable cause to arrest.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Immigration Law and Juvenile Law for Wisconsin on
Q: If applying for a fiancé visa do I need to report these on the application and would it cause a refusal?

I received two underage drinking tickets and a DUI (stupid mistakes all over 5 years ago.) so I'm wondering when it asked if you've been convicted of a crime more than 3 times related to alcohol on the application would I need to disclose all of this. And would this cause issues/refusal? Im from... Read more »

Brendan Lee McAvoy
Brendan Lee McAvoy answered on Feb 23, 2016

Your question needs more detail. Was the DUI in Wisconsin? Generally, the OWI 1st is not a misdemeanor, although depending on the severity of the crime this may not be the case. Tickets are generally municipal forfeitures and not criminal convictions. If you are unsure on the results of your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: Is it legal for a Wisconsin resident to consume alcohol at the age of 19 with a parent's permission?
Jeff Hughes
Jeff Hughes answered on Oct 28, 2013

It is legal, but the law states alcohol can only be consumed on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent. Some examples of locations would be a private home, private office, or private property with the consent of a parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.