Wyoming Collections Questions & Answers

Q: Which state hold judgments after family law case is transferred?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Family Law, Foreclosure and Collections for Wyoming on
Answered on Jun 26, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
All eight years interest will accrue pursuant to the judgments issued under New Jersey law.

Q: If I am not an U.S. citizen, and I fail paying my college bill, will a collecting agency find me in my country?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Education Law, Immigration Law and International Law for Wyoming on
Answered on Sep 13, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
The worst? Sorry, but you are asking me to imagine all sorts of grisly possibilities, which I won't do. In general, collection agencies annoy you with repeated phone calls, and sometimes find a collection attorney to sue you on a contingent-fee basis. To my knowledge they seldom bother with debtors who are no longer in the U.S.


2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Wyoming on
Answered on Feb 18, 2014
Andrew Bresalier's answer
A: This is a lay-person term for being uncollectable. There is really no such thing as really being “Judgment Proof” as a bar to being sued. Any one can be sued for anything. A Plaintiff can be granted a judgment, despite the Defendant’s holdings, or lack there of. Once the judgment is granted, if the Defendant’s holding are within the respective states exemptions, he is said to be “Judgment Proof”, but that will not stop a Plaintiff from attempting to collect from any source...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.