Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 California Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for California on
Q: What if my son was misdiagnosed at school?

My son was misdiagnosed with supposed symptoms of COVID-19™. The district nurse said my son complained of a headache after running around with a mask on. A different student in her care complained about a sore throat.

The nurse crossed out 'bad headache' took my son's... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Nov 13, 2020

With schools just starting to re-open and pressures on districts from Parents regarding both health concerns for safety and getting the students back in school, the schools are going to be over cautious to be sure that any student with even a hint of a symptom is thoroughly vetted. If you think... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Employment Law for California on
Q: Do Minor work permits change because of online schooling? Can we work more than 4 hours on a week day?

Since schools have been moved to online and we are not physically going to school, can a 17 year old work more than 4 hours on a Monday? My boss doesn't know for sure but my school did provide a new work permit providing new hours, but my boss would like to make sure its legal before he takes... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Sep 9, 2020

There have been no changes to the laws related to minors working that have come about as a result of the Covid situation. Therefore, the same limitation on the number of hours a minor can work apply now as before.

Your boss needs to get specific, confidential advice from his attorney, not...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for California on
Q: Can I do anything about my school not refunding or not providing services

Hi, I’m just wondering recently I’ve been going to a technical school and we had to complete certain things in the class to get our certification but since covid happend the school was forced to close and we weren’t able too, and when I had talked to the counselor about it even though I was... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 23, 2020

Read your contract. Take it to an attorney specializing in Education Law or Business Law and have him review it as to your rights. If you are not satisfied, file in Small Claims Court. This is essentially a breach of contract, you may be able to get your money back, it depends what the contract... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for California on
Q: Can I request a refund from a school that closed since March due to pandemic?

Private school won't give me refund for my child's language class due to closure since March. They switched to online class, but the teacher didn't contact us prior so we couldn't attend online class, even if we can I don't feel as if the teacher was capable of teaching... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 23, 2020

Make sure you have put your request for a refund in writing, which will be evidence. File in Small Claims (up to $10,000) and take your case before a judge. There are a lot of posts on this question, and no sure answer. Be sure to review your contract with the school.

Justia disclaimers...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Education Law for California on
Q: How should I request a university program in California to return my admit deposit since they have deferred starting?

I was selected in a program that has now deferred their start date due to CoVID. They requested a sizable deposit to secure my position in the program for their initial start date. The program no longer fits my timeline and they have refused to refund the deposit. What can I do in this situation?

John Francis Nicholson
John Francis Nicholson answered on May 20, 2020

I agree with Mr. Kaufman that you may need an attorney to sort this out. However, your question does not indicate whether you have contacted the university directly to find out what there policy is, and what writing is it based on. Some schools have a refund policy based upon a timeline that... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.