Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Florida Divorce Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Does he not owe child support due to COVID lockdowns and terms of the child support agreement?

Ex-spouse & I signed a mediation agreement early 2020, just before legally mandated lockdowns. in lieu of paying to court, ex agreed to pay equivalent amount of per guidelines child support by paying child's insurance coverage (pretax from paycheck) & day/aftercare. Shortly after... Read more »

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
answered on Jan 19, 2021

You need to read your agreement carefully. He is not "off the hook." However, if the agreement says he pays the daycare directly and the daycare closed then he can argue that he does not have to pay. You may need to go back to court for clarification or enforcement. What he did or is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Gov & Administrative Law for Florida on
Q: With Covid19 in effect what are the legal guide lines for phone hearings? Why are they not recorded?

I had an exceptions hearing over the phone, opposing council was allowed to talk and I was not, I was the one that filed for exceptions. I don't understand how that is legal, and when I tried to get a copy of the hearing they said that they weren't recording them? When I asked the judge... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
answered on Jun 7, 2020

Of your list of grievances, the only one that seems to be a possible infringement of your rights was the denial of your right to argue on your own behalf. That is a procedural due process right IN GENERAL for pro se litigants in hearings, with some exceptions. Relief for a trial court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Florida on
Q: Can I expedite my filed simplified divorce?

I am filed already awaiting final hearing date (amongst COVID) but I am up against a military deployment and would like it finalized before I go circa 2 months.

Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
answered on May 22, 2020

If there are no attorneys involved, call the other party and let him/her know that you would like to request an expedited final hearing from the court. If he/she agrees, call the JA and let her know that you have conferred with the other party and he/she agrees to an expedited hearing due to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Florida on
Q: Married for 13 years in Florida. Husband left the home 18 months ago. Still pays rent. Nothing more. He just filed for

divorce end of Match 2020. Our son called up his dad and asked to live with him as he was unhappy with his chores. He lives in Orlando. We live in St. Augustine(over 2 hours away). His dad came and picked him up 2 days ago. I didn't want to fight with them(abuse in relationship, scared).... Read more »

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
answered on Apr 29, 2020

If you cannot reach a resolution with the father then your only remedy is to go to court. It is unlikely in the divorce that the court would split up three children. However, you will both have a timesharing schedule defining when the children are with each of you. If he filed for divorce and then... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Florida on
Q: How is coronvirus effecting speed of hearings, and time for a "still to be negotiated" divorce start to finish?

Broward website says 'nonessential' services are suspended, whatever that means.

Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
answered on Apr 13, 2020

It depends if your case is contested or uncontested. You can still file, serve and submit the required documents. Some judges are holding zoom hearings. If uncontested, you can potentially have a zoom final hearing. I would give it 3 to 6 months if uncontested. If contested, you may have to mediate... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.