COVID-19 Indiana Q&A by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents (Intellectual Property)
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Stockbroker Fraud
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

Show More Practice Areas »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Indiana Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Q: I contracted covid-19 December 2020 and have had continued complications from the virus. Am I eligible for worker's com?

I contracted the virus at work, kroger. I am still having complications from the virus and unable to work. I was advised I might be eligible for worker's comp.

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Aug 19, 2021

Probably not. You are neither a healthcare worker nor a first responder. Hundreds of thousands of people have contracted this virus which is to say that the likelihood of PROVING your exposure to be work-related is very low. Moreover, Workers' Compensation has express exceptions within the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: Can landlord sell the home after I have been renting for 19.5 yrs, lease isn't up and new people r sueing and evicting

Us what can we ask our lawyer to due, I don't believe paying for move and deposit, is enough after us loosing our home after 19.5 yrs, and during this pandemic and winter

Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson answered on Feb 10, 2021

Your landlord would not be prevented from selling the property to another owner. However, whether the new owners are justified in filing an eviction against you would depend on if you have violated a term of the lease or one of the tenant obligations called for under Indiana law.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Indiana on
Q: Can the city decided to cancel the contract and do the demolition themselves.?

I have a contract with the city parks and recreation to tare down 2 horse barns, for the lumber. No cost to the city. I still have to pay my employees. No finish/completion date was set in the contract. Can the park superintendent decide to have city employees take the barns down an cancel the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 28, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, but you await an answer for four weeks. It could depend on the terms of the contract, particularly if it contained any provisions for cancellation. One option might be to review the contract with an Indiana attorney. COVID-related defenses have been used in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Indiana on
Q: Is it legal for my job to fire me for taking off to care of my newborn while my unwed partner is sick in the hospital?
Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Oct 7, 2020

Whether you are protected under the law will depend on the size of your employer and how long you were with the employer. The Family and Medical Leave Act ("FMLA") offers unpaid leave if you need to care for a child as you described above, but it only applies if (1) your employer employs... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: signed up for dance lessons in Jan through May. I paid in advance.they refuse to give me partial refund

Signed up in january- for classes once a week until end of may.

They switched to online classes but since i have hardwood floors and not a lot of space and i was doing tap dance i asked for a refund, they said this was not to be inplace of a dance class. that it was just to keep your body... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 11, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, as consumer issues could involve state law. But as a general matter of contract law, it could depend on how the agreement was written, in terms of how it addressed certain unforeseeable or foreseeable intervening events. These types of situations have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Indiana on
Q: My pub def has not answered any call or message for six weeks. Can I request a new one?
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Aug 27, 2020

Unless you have an urgent situation or a hearing in the near future, you should not be alarmed. Especially in the current pandemic, public defenders are swamped with cases (fewer people are working) and also having to deal with the same crisis management as everyone else in the court system. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Indiana on
Q: For children whose parents don't want them to return to the classroom this fall, the school is offering online learning.

However, those who choose this option are denied access to extracurricular activities. Is there a legal remedy for this?

Joel D. Hand
Joel D. Hand answered on Jul 1, 2020

The short answer is, probably not. Extra curricular activities are not considered to be a part of a student's right to a public K-12 education. It is my understanding that the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) changed its guidance this last Friday to allow for a case-by-case... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Indiana on
Q: Currently in process of getting Greencard. Just waiting for approval. I want to get married will that mess with process?

our current lawyer has told us to wait until we have the physical copy in our hands before getting married. But we are christian and do not want to continue to live in fornication and would love to get married to avoid disappointing God. Need to know if getting married this late in process where I... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Jun 9, 2020

More information is needed. Did you have an Indiana authorized officiant sign your marriage license? That is, a pastor, priest, or other properly licensed officiant? If so, then you are lawfully married on the 'date of marriage.' The fear may be that the license will somehow expire or... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Indiana on
Q: I was accepted to work release but w covid-19 they aren't taking people I was told to report to jail what can I ask

The judge for because I'm a single sole provider of two kids and also a essential worker...i was granted an extension but are not allowed any more but that was before covid-19 anything I could ask the judge for during this pandemic

Mike Cunningham
Mike Cunningham answered on Apr 19, 2020

You should consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. He/she can go over your options and can possibly file motions on your behalf to make sure that you can complete your sentence in a way that you originally bargained for. Depending on the terms of your plea or sentencing order,... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.