Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Michigan Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan, Does child support start at birth, or when paternity is established, or when the paperwork gets filed?

I am Canadian, my son's father is American. Support is being handled in Michigan, and custody in Ontario. Friend of the court said it's only valid from the time filed. So essentially, he's absolved of his parental responsibilities for the first 12 months of his life? When the... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jul 12, 2021

Support would go back to when the action is filed; birth expenses - if the state paid for it, are separate and in addition to support.

The family courts mostly continued through COVID. Even if your particular court could not conduct a hearing - most made the transition to ZOOM hearings...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on
Q: Hi I have been paying support over 19 years at work attached payments and 5 years myself im still paying

2016 my uc ran out i was done in 08 with child support they lost my record had to go back me and my wife and they came up with I owed her 2000$and 24000 to the state I've paid a total of close to 20 years she won't miss work to go stop the order when it was current they were taking from... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 7, 2021

You really need to gather all records you have, including getting a copy of your payment history. It's not necessarily a question of how many years you paid; it's a matter of how much money you owe during the period you were ordered to pay child support. It is possible to have arrearages... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Michigan on
Q: can my spouse cut me off of my accounts for money? Amidst travel during covid, he left me with no means to survive

We have been separated for years but been very cordial unless/until he dates this women years younger then him, then he starts spending everything he makes. I’m a stay at home mother to 16 year old triplets. I never spent any money on myself from accounts, only for bills and kids. I was traveling... Read more »

Kent Wood II
Kent Wood II answered on May 14, 2020

If you are a named account holder, no one can take your name off the account without your permission. BUT, any account holder can empty the account and then take their name off the account or just stop making deposits to the account.

It is difficult when it is "from out of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on
Q: I have a question about court ordered visitation after the issue of Stay At Home order.

My husband and I are 68 and 69 years old. My husband has an autoimmune disease that affects his lungs...Wegeners Granulamatosis. He also has partial paralysis due to a stroke. Our son and 4 year old grandson live with us full time. Our son has sole custody of our grandson, legal and physical. Our... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 24, 2020

Family law attorneys' phones are ringing off the hook with just this sort of question. The latest order expressly provides that people may travel to facility court ordered visitations. And in fact unless ordered otherwise, existing parenting time orders remain valid and enforceable.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.