Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 New Jersey Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: I have a 16 yr old granddaughter whom was living with her mother in GA. Her mom kicked her out and sent her to her fathe

To NJ. Granddaughter wants to live with father. Mother refused to send docs to father. As her maternal grandmother can I ask the court for a law guardian for my Granddaughter. Father can't get birth certificate, his name isn't on it. My daughter wants her daughter to live hard. Job corps... Read more »

Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek answered on Aug 23, 2021

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry that you and your granddaughter have to go through this stressful time.

The most direct answer is you can file a grandparents rights application and request formal custody of your granddaughter. Then the court can order your daughter to turn over...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New Jersey on
Q: Whats the process to file a motion acting as my own lawyer?? This is for family court for my sons mother to follow order

His mother has neglected to inform me of my sons address, doctors and their locations, school etc for years. The last overnight I had with him was March 10th 2020, upon covid I hadn't seen him till June 27th 2021

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Aug 5, 2021

This is not a simple enforcement application and therefore I suggest that filing an application on your own will be a mistake. Under the court rules, your certification ( your testimony) in support of your application can be up to 25 pages separate from all of the attachments ( exhibits) to your... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: In the state of New Jersey I pay child support but can’t offord it

I can offord the payment but I send something every week and I don’t have a job cause of covid but I do pay money to child support every week I have court soon and I’m not sure why

Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek answered on Apr 23, 2021

Thank you for your question. The court calculates child support based on a number of factors. To have that amount adjusted you need to prove a permanent change in circumstances. Unemployment is generally not considered permanent. You are likely being summoned to a court appearance for an... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Family Law for New Jersey on
Q: What do I do if it's my second time being falsely accused of domestic violence and I feel like I was discriminated

This time when I went to pick my child's from his house he dragged me out slashed my tires broke my phone in front of the kids

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Dec 1, 2020

You really need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney to obtain a Final Domestic Violence Restraining Order against him and contact the municipal prosecutor to file criminal charges against him. During this pandemic, you have a choice of either seeing your attorney in person or by way of a... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New Jersey on
Q: Aunt has sent more than 150 txt and emails in 90 days with harsh language and degrading comments. Can I do anything

I have more than 150 emails text and voice mails that I have been receiving for more than 3 months. It started because I did not throw a birthday party for my son in the beginning of June during Corona virus lockdown. It has escalated to her verbally attacking me, and everybody in the family.... Read more »

Andrew M Shaw
Andrew M Shaw answered on Sep 7, 2020

First, you can report her harassment to the local police department. Harassment and cyber harassment are both crimes in the State of New Jersey. Whether to bring charges for any particular act of harassment rests in the discretion of the prosecutor's office, but the possibility of criminal... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Municipal Law for New Jersey on
Q: Can dcp&p remove children during covid-19 pandemic without a court order?
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Aug 26, 2020

From a procedural standpoint, DCPP gets a call from an anonymous source, school, police department, etc expressing concern for the welfare of a child in your household and it then sends out a representative to investigate. The purpose of the investigation is to determine whether the child is at... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New Jersey on
Q: Visits and COVID-19 quarantine

I live in the state of New Jersey and have custody of my niece , her mother lives in a state that the New Jersey governor has put on the 14 day quarantine list and I have a poor immune system. She is only aloud 1 day time visit and no over nights but like I said her state that she comes from is on... Read more »

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Jul 22, 2020

Not an easy issue to resolve given that you have a compromised immune system and the biological mother has significant restrictions on her contact / access to her daughter. Im guessing that the reason for the non-overnight plan in place has to do with concerns for the mothers mental health issues... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New Jersey on
Q: Mom is denying parenting time from dad due to virus because mom has asthma. Can father win if he files emergency motion?

Can one parent deny the other parent parenting time because of the virus if the other parent has been acting responsibly?

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Apr 14, 2020

In theory, dad should win. In reality, any lawyer who tells you that he / she can file an emergent application at this time and can tell you how the judge assigned to handle this issue will response, is being disingenuous with you. To begin with, emergent parenting time applications are being... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.