Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: Can a shared post on Facebook be worthy of defamation if part is public record and part is photo evidence of the injury?

My friends boyfriend recently inflicted bodily harm to her. 911 was called and he is facing two charges of domestic abuse. There was a post on Facebook showing a screenshot of his arrest record- public record- and pictures of my friends injuries (split lip, swollen eyes, bruises, etc.).... Read more »

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Apr 23, 2018

"Threatening" to sue for defamation is much different than actually recovering damages based on a defamation claim. Truth is a classic defense to a defamation claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Real Estate Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it legal to post pictures and tell someone's address on Facebook after their house gets condemned
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Feb 21, 2018

Generally, a condemnation order is a public document generated by a local governmental agency. Accordingly, identifying the address of a condemned property on social media wouldn’t be libelous.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: What is a soon-to-be 55 year old woman to do in the case of slander/age discrimination?

It seems as though the laws may be stacked against me as there is no way to prove age discrimination either... I've been shunned by my peers who also have a degree in Accounting.

Harley C. Erbe
Harley C. Erbe answered on Jan 14, 2018

There's not enough information to evaluate your question. The short answer about what to do is to meet with a lawyer to discuss the situation and determine whether you have a legal claim. From the cynicism in your question, it sounds like you may already have done that and received a poor... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: is it wise to attempt a slander suit on my own?

I am an in-home caregiver and the daughter of a client has made exaggerated and false statements to my office regarding how I provided care for her mother resulting in a written warning

Harley C. Erbe
Harley C. Erbe answered on Jan 14, 2018

It's never a good idea to handle anything but a small claims case without a lawyer. Also, defamation cases are difficult to win, particularly when the statements at issue will be defended as statements of opinion. Opinions are protected under the First Amendment; they usually cannot form the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.