Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Adoption Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Adoption for Utah on
Q: How do I adopt my former step-son (Kevin), who is now an adult?

We both consent to the adoption, but there are two issues that could create challenges:

1. Kevin's mother and I are divorced.

2. Kevin and I live in separate states. He lives in Utah, I live in Florida.

My questions:

1. Do I need consent from birth parents?... Read more »

Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson answered on Oct 28, 2016

You could file in either state. Since he is an adult, you wouldn't need consent from the parents unless the parents still have guardianship of him. Adult adoptions are tricky and the judge will most likely want a decent explanation as to the reasoning.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Utah on
Q: My husband and I have been asked by his first cousin to adopt her baby that is due in April. She lives in another state.

The child will most likely have special needs (because of his mother's drug addiction) as well. What steps do we need to take before we fly to Hawaii to pick up the baby? While we are there, we are only able to stay for about a week. What action needs to take place while we are in Hawaii?

Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes answered on May 19, 2016

I realize that this has already happened, but for future viewers, you most likely have to comply with the ICPC laws and obtain ICPC approval from both states' compact administrators. Private direct placement adoptions are very complex and require an attorney who knows what he/she is doing in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Utah on
Q: Do I have to have a lawyer to find my birthparents if it's a closed adoption?
Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes answered on Jan 14, 2013

The short answer to your question is no, you can represent yourself in any legal matter. However, the question you should have asked is, can an attorney help me find my birthparents if it was a closed adoption? The answer is, probably not.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Utah on
Q: In Utah, how do I adopt my wife's 3-year-old who has been under my care for 2 yrs? Biological father has done nothing since child was 6-months-old

My wife and I have been married for 1 year and 6 months. She and her ex-husband had a child, but got divorced.

They separated when their daughter was maybe 6 months-old.

I have been providing for the child ever since. We got married after she was divorced.

I am in the... Read more »

Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes answered on Nov 8, 2012

The question is very fact dependent. I suggest that you call my office so we can discuss this matter in detail. Because of the nature of the question, I will have to make sure that I do not have conflict of interest.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Utah on
Q: Does a 13 year old in a Step Parent adoption have to go to court? The bio father has signed off.
Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes answered on Nov 7, 2012

Yes, unless the Court waives the requirement. See U.C.A. Section 78B-6-136.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Utah on
Q: Step child adopt in utah, biodad been absent since pregnancy and not on birth certificate. Do we still need his consent?
Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes answered on Nov 7, 2012

The answer to this question is highly dependent upon several facts. I am an adoption attorney. If your interested, you may contact me at my office and I would be happy to speak with you via a phone appointment. 801-546-3874.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.