Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Cheryl Rowe

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: My mother has filed a complaint for custody of my son.

What do I do next. This is in Pa. Does it cost me money to go to court? Can we do mediation instead?

Cheryl Rowe answered on Aug 12, 2016

I would seriously consider consulting with a lawyer in your area. You will end up in court, if only for the mediation, if that is ordered in your county. It is unlikely to be resolved at mediation, and I never advise clients to go to court without a good lawyer with you. You will be given court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Pennsylvania on

Q: I have shared parenting with my kid father is it still legal to continue on child support on the kid's father

Cheryl Rowe answered on Aug 12, 2016

If he has more than half of the overnights, he would not owe anything to you. If you have 50/50, the person with the higher income is usually required to pay something(I would have to know your incomes to tell you the exact numbers), and if he has less than 40% of the overnights, the support... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: Custody and child support

I have three children ages 9, 11, and 13. The 11 year old doesn't want to stay with her mother overnight anymore, is there anything I can do? 2nd question; if I have the kids over 50% of the time should I pay child support (nothing written by the court ?

Cheryl Rowe answered on Aug 12, 2016

I would advise following the court order, if one exists. If you feel your 11 year old has really good reasons for not wanting to go, then you can petition to modify the current order. Whether you will succeed is something that I could not answer without knowing more details. If you have the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: what kind of custody can parent get if living in different state (he's in NY his child is Pa)

He hasn't attempted to see his child in over 3 years. But now what's to get custody of him. I'm not worried about losing the custody battle cause I won't but I am curious as to which kind of custody could be granted

Cheryl Rowe answered on Aug 12, 2016

Most likely, if he were to petition the court to modify the current order, you would have the chance to go to the custody conference and see what can be worked out. If you can't agree, you/your lawyer can explain to the conference office why he shouldn't have time with the child. The conference... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: Should I get a lawyer for child support?

I currently have a court date set to request child support for my son and I have limited income, but I'm not sure if I should get a lawyer or not.

Cheryl Rowe answered on Aug 12, 2016

Most of my practice is family law. In your area, there are a number of good attorneys who will sit down with you for a consultation. You need to sit down with someone, who can discuss your income, your son's father's income, as well as take a look at extra expenses - child care, extracurricular... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Pennsylvania on

Q: Biological father never involved married my husband stepped in I have sole custody he's trying to get custody what do

Cheryl Rowe answered on Aug 12, 2016

Hello! If you have custody now, then the father will have to ask the court to modify the order. He has an uphill battle after his absence, but if this guy really does pursue custody, please go and talk to a lawyer. Many of us provide free consultations and would be happy to go over the situation... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.