Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Marc Andrew Moses
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Washington on
Q: My wife has a daughter that isn't mine that I have raised for the past 15 years. Will I have to pay child support?

I never legally adopted her.

Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses answered on Apr 12, 2019

The short answer is no, but it depends on a few other factors.

Children from other relationships are not considered for child support. The "depends" part is if the mother believes you are the father, which can be overcome with a DNA test, which would then result in you not paying...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Washington on
Q: My child’s father recently moved to California, me and the child live in Washington, we don’t have a parenting plan...

The father doesn’t pay child support, he doesn’t help out with finances or essentials, he told me the day of that he was moving to a different state. He is always bugging me about talking to her on the phone, can I get in trouble for not letting them talk? Do I have to have contact with him?

Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses answered on Mar 30, 2018

I wouldn't wait to see if you are going to get in trouble for not allowing your child to talk to the other parent. There may be reasons to do so, but I would rather see you present the issue to the court and get a judge to issue an order.

If the child resides in Washington, you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Washington on
Q: Does the non custodial parent stop paying child support during visitations, ie... summer breaks?

There is nothing in my support order stating such and he receives 6 weeks visitation (he resides out of state) during summer breaks.

Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses answered on Mar 30, 2018

When a Washington court orders child support, the order states when it is payable- monthly, or bi-monthly, or perhaps within some other time frame. Unless the order states that payment of child support may be suspended when the non-custodial parent has parenting time (which is highly unlikely),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Washington on
Q: I’m a father living in Washington State and I pay child support in NY. I need a lawyer should I look for one here or NY?
Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses answered on Mar 30, 2018

Short answer: It depends.

You wrote that you needed a lawyer, but didn't give the reason. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're looking to modify the amount of support or other order, and if the children have been living in New York for at least the last...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Washington on
Q: What to do if my spouse does not want to sign divorse papers?
Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses answered on Sep 11, 2017

When you say that your spouse will not sign divorce papers, I will assume that you have filed for dissolution, then tried to work out a settlement that you think is fair but he/she doesn't, so she won't "join" in the petition, which is what WA state calls it when the spouse... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.